lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Uneven/intermittent power

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Bob, thanks very much for the info.

It doesn’t sound like it’s worth cleaning it up and putting it back in if I’m just going to hurt it again. My question now is: is it even in a condition to send to someone like EMP? If I’m understanding you correctly, it sounds like you’re saying I need a whole new motor unless I’m going to keep the rpm’s way down from where I have been?

If it is worth doing something with, how do I clean all of the “gunk” out of there? Mild detergent like dawn ok?
It is rebuildable, if they replace the armature. The stator will clean up, when they bake it the oven to remove what remains of the formvar. They will resurface the rotor bore and apply a new layer of varnish over the laminations. They will rewind the stator and tie the windings. They will heat it up in an oven, then dip the whole thing in formvar. The heat causes the formvar to thin and flow in between all the nooks and crannies. Then they will bake it in an oven to cure the formvar, which locks everything in place. They will probably put in a new rotor that has the windings that they will want to use. If not, they will use a rotor blank and wind it to meet their specs. If you ask for it, they can build you a higher RPM motor.

To prep it, you can just spray everything down with water under pressure to get rid of the gunk. If you leave it for them to do, it might increase the cost. While they are doing the work, you can ask them to imbed a temperature sensor in the new stator windings, which can be wired to a temperature guage.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. Thanks again for all of your help. I'm going to get in touch with emp first thing Tuesday morning.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mini update:

I sent emails to both plum quick and emp to get opinions on my current motor, and for suggestions on where to go from here. I think both places are super busy, as it’s been difficult to reach them.

EMP has a very detailed form on their website that you fill out. It asked for all of the details about your cart and how you use it. I filled that out plus sent an email with the pics I posted here. Chuck replied that he didn’t think my motor was necessarily damaged, from what he saw in the pics, and asked me to send him some information on armature length and number of field windings. I sent that right back to him yesterday, but I haven’t heard back yet and haven’t been able to reach them on the phone.

Robby at plum quick responded to my initial email that he could tell that the motor had excessive brush wear and that the commutator had gotten very hot. He doesn’t recommend rebuilding this motor. His email said that he could build me a new higher HP motor, but the number he quoted was a bit more than the Assassin price on the website, and he didn’t offer any details yet. His message was fairly short, and I haven’t yet been able to reach him again.

I’m going to keep trying today to reach both of these guys so I can make a decision and get this thing going again. They both seem to be super busy and I’m sure I’m not the only guy in a big a** hurry. Haha. I’ve read enough here about both places having excellent reputations, but if anyone has any input they think would be helpful, I’d appreciate it. I also thought I’d send Scotty an email. I only didn’t initially, as I was thinking the current motor would be rebuilt, but not sure now if that’s the best way to go.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO