lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
Tezzadactyl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Connecting Voltage/Battery gauge

Hi, I have a '95 Medalist and I have been struggling to find a wiring diagram that matches what my cart has.
I think I have finally found one that looks right.
What I would like to know is a testing procedure to identify any loss throughout the main power circuit. I have a couple of cables that look "ok" but would like to be able to check their function before I replace them.
The other thing I would like to know is where should I connect a LCD voltage/battery gauge to get the most accurate reading?

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27_1994-1995-Electric-Solid-State-Speed-Control.jpg (72.4 KB, 0 views)
Tezzadactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Connecting Voltage/Battery gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezzadactyl View Post
Hi, I have a '95 Medalist and I have been struggling to find a wiring diagram that matches what my cart has.

The other thing I would like to know is where should I connect a LCD voltage/battery gauge to get the most accurate reading?

Cheers.
there are two places that most all of us connect our digital on-board volt meters.
1. is connect them at the key switch so it turns on when you start your cart.
2. connect it directly to the battery pack and it displays at all times, the draw is so small, its not an issue.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Connecting to the battery main plus and minus will give the most accurate reading. I usually find the keyswitch to read up to 1/2 volt below the pack due to line ans switch resistance. The slightly lower reading is not a problem for me as I try not to draw the pack down to the bare minimum anyway
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Tezzadactyl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies guys. I currently have the gauge connected with the Neg wire going directly to the Neg side of the battery pack and the Pos wire going to the switched side of the key. I thought that would have been OK, just wanted to check.
Where should I connect to on the motor to check for voltage. I want to connect one meter to the motor and another meter directly to the battery pack. I will then compare the 2 readings to see how much loss I have through the main power circuit.
What would the expected loss be?

Cheers
Old 09-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Tezzadactyl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, now I'm confused. I have the battery gauge connected, it shows voltage and battery life as a percentage. When fully charged, the voltage shows 38.4v, but the battery gauge shows only 83%??? When setting up the gauge, you select the type of batteries and how many are in the pack. So I set it up with 3 Lead acid batteries because it assumes that a lead acid battery is 12v, giving me a total of 36v.
Shouldn't the gauge show 100% until it drops below 36v?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Sideways
Gone Wild

This might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
Tezzadactyl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Sideways, that explains it for me. Seems like my batteries aren't in the best shape, but they'll have to do for now. They still get me to and from the course and around 18 holes so that's all I need for now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO