lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Default weight limit / pulling weight

I have a 04 txt series cart that i upgraded from 36v to 42v. sr48500 HD-F&R and HD solenoid and cables. Just installed a back seat ( aluminum because paranoid of weight concerns ) and was wondering what the pulling hauling capacity limit would be.. I did a little searching and found 800 pounds max but I'm thinking thats a factory conservative number. I also saw some post that people are pulling some heavy trailers, smokers that weigh 2000 lbs??? seems like a lot to me..
One thing i must note it i got the 2" lift kit ( made by ezgo ) with HD rear springs. but I'm running stock tires,18". i want to run 22" which i do have already but thinking of buying 20" inch tires so i don't loose as much torque and don't want to inhibit the performance on hills, as I'm using this cart in a semi hilly terrain.. input on this would be appreciated!

i see the 6 seaters and can only imagine that the weight would be much more than 800..

can any of you enlighten me on the weight limits of the ego series carts? upgraded parts but only at 42 volts for now..

Thank you all all in advance...
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: weight limit / pulling weight

I live in perfectly flat section of Florida and ride on pavement, but I pull a trailer once a year in a Christmas parade. Normally there will be 2, maybe 3 ladies and 6 to 8 kids and a bunch of decorations on it. I would guess it'd be a little under 2k pounds but I have no clue really. Once I get moving it really doesn't take much to keep it moving, but we do ride fairly slow. I'd guess around 10mph to 12mph. It is tough on my cart and I have to watch motor temp because last year the motor got so hot I could not keep my hand on it.

This year I upgraded to Lithium to shave around 400 pounds off the cart. I replaced 6 traction batteries and one deep cycle marine with 68.5 pounds of lithium, so that'll help.

You having stock height tires will help, but having hills will hinder. I've been told several times that "these are golf carts, not tractors" so I know I'll break it some day... My guess is the motor will go next and I'll need to replace it with a torque motor.

I have a sepex cart and you have a series. Series are generally considered better for torque.

So the answer is "I dunno"... It'll work till you break it, overheating a motor or stripping out the hub. Once you do that, back off a couple hundred pounds and you'll know what the limit is...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I live in perfectly flat section of Florida and ride on pavement, but I pull a trailer once a year in a Christmas parade. Normally there will be 2, maybe 3 ladies and 6 to 8 kids and a bunch of decorations on it. I would guess it'd be a little under 2k pounds but I have no clue really. Once I get moving it really doesn't take much to keep it moving, but we do ride fairly slow. I'd guess around 10mph to 12mph. It is tough on my cart and I have to watch motor temp because last year the motor got so hot I could not keep my hand on it.

This year I upgraded to Lithium to shave around 400 pounds off the cart. I replaced 6 traction batteries and one deep cycle marine with 68.5 pounds of lithium, so that'll help.

You having stock height tires will help, but having hills will hinder. I've been told several times that "these are golf carts, not tractors" so I know I'll break it some day... My guess is the motor will go next and I'll need to replace it with a torque motor.

I have a sepex cart and you have a series. Series are generally considered better for torque.

So the answer is "I dunno"... It'll work till you break it, overheating a motor or stripping out the hub. Once you do that, back off a couple hundred pounds and you'll know what the limit is...
thanks for the input, helpful.... i would think turning the electric motor at a slower speed in the parade would build up some heat....

Was also thinking back and the alltrax youtube video they pulled another elec cart on a trailer and it seemed to do it with no problems. not sure about the heat of the motor though?????

i guess I'm being extra cautious as I'm only hauling around 800 to 900 lbs of passenger and accessories through the hills and was wondering what damage i could be doing knowing they were not designed for that..
Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also keep in mind you only have drum brakes, and only on the rear wheels. Stopping on hills "might" be important.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Also keep in mind you only have drum brakes, and only on the rear wheels. Stopping on hills "might" be important.
yes, for sure i neglected to bring this up but also a concern.. thinking of rear disk as i don't think my ezgo lift wont support front brakes..
Old 09-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

They have ausco disk brake kits sold by some of our sponsors, but they require a larger rim for clearance.

As for turning slow, you are correct. Slow going pulls lots of amps and amps = heat. So in my example, the parade would be easier on my cart if the average speed was closer to 15 mph than 10.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are right to be concerned. Big tires, added seating, trailer towing, and hills add up for a motor failure. The conditions described will keep the motor in the same high amperage draw mode that it usually sees for just moments when starting out... the result is much of this amperage cannot be turned into rpms, so it turns into heat.
The situation is worse in 36 volt systems.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, when you put on the back seat did you put on HD springs? If you have normal springs those will sag pretty heavily when you put people on the back and wear out sooner.

The HD springs will probably give you an inch or so lift. So conside the space available overhead in the garage before installing them.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
sand dune coon
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Also, when you put on the back seat did you put on HD springs? If you have normal springs those will sag pretty heavily when you put people on the back and wear out sooner.

The HD springs will probably give you an inch or so lift. So conside the space available overhead in the garage before installing them.
yes, i put the ez-go mid-rise 2" lift kit. they told me that they are the HD rear springs which will raise the cart some along with a little bit longer shackle together, gives it about a 2" lift.
also have springs for the front, driver side sagging pretty bad - i have the 7th battery on the drivers side of cart 42V which doesnt help.

i just wanted to level the cart out and lift a couple inches which hopefully this does - id like to put bigger tires but will probably end up leaving the 18's on it because i dont want to over tax things with 4 passengers on the hills, not to mention lose torque on the hills.

i have yet to install the lift, hopefully this weekend.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO