lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default High Battery Voltage?

What does a 6 volt battery reading 11.XX volts mean? I have one of them doing this and the others are showing 6.XX volts while it was on the charger. I'm going to get more readings in the morning before I leave for work.

It's a 95 Medalist 36v series cart and when I bought the cart the batteries barely had a charge on them, it had been sitting up due to a bad controller. I upgraded the FNR switch, SR48500 controller, and 400a solenoid through ScottieB. I'm hoping I can make them last through the holidays and eventually upgrade to 48v.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: High Battery Voltage?

That reading was while it was on the charger, or after the charger shut off?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That was while it was on the charger. I went out last night before bed and the charger was off and got the following readings.

total charge 39.55 (11:00pm)

1) 6.56 6) 6.62
2) 6.56 5) 6.63
3) 6.57 4) 6.61

This morning when I took readings it was:

Total charge 35.07 (5:00am)

1) 6.11 6) 6.21
2) 4.11 5) 6.21
3) 6.17 4) 6.19

Battery #2 was also the battery reading 11.xx volts while on the charger last night.

The batteries are 3 year old US batteries (2200XC) that were almost completely drained when I got the cart.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Dan33Klein
Getting Wild

Unfortunately your batteries are shot..
Dan33Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Concur. What you saw while on charge was Battery #2 had the greatest voltage drop, because it's the deadest. In other words, it needed the most voltage to be happy. All are shot.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I figured unfortunately :(

Would it be possible that #2 is draining the other 5 and would they still be usable for the time being if I bought another one just to replace #2?

I'm wanting to upgrade to 48v after the holidays so I'd rather not buy a whole six pack of 6v batteries and just wait until I can buy the 8v batteries and charger.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You can buy a used battery, about the same age as the rest, but how they all perform will depend on what you expect them to do. If you are going to drive very short distances of mainly flat pavement, you may last a few months. However, we don't know the condition of the other five batteries. While they are over 6 volts at rest, they may drop significantly under load.

If you absolutely have to drive it, I'd remove the two worst ones, and place a car battery in the series. Connect a digital multimeter (DMM) on each battery, one at a time, and see what they read while driving, assuming it even moves. If it looks like it may work, don't kill your car battery playing. This is just a poor-man's way of load testing the four.

The abuse of leaving batteries discharged, even for a shorter time than those have seen, results in permanent crippling damage.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The cart is completely torn down right now and the batteries are sitting on a piece of plywood under my carport, I hooked them back up like they were after taking them out to try and keep the charger on them. I'm trying to get it ready for a Halloween camping trip. Other than camping the cart will just be used by the kids mostly riding around the yard.

It did move on it's own at one point, after I put the new controller in I drove it around the yard a few times but it was shortly after that I started taking it apart.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Then I'd try and price a used battery. Forget about the car battery.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The one that was reading high voltage under charge is going to make the entire pack sag under load because it has very high internal resistance. You need a whole new set of batteries anyway.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO