lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Max rpm’s admiral motor?

From the sound of his OP I don't think he minds blowing the motor Sergio. He's wanting to go over the recommended RPM limit and already tapped one of the motor studs, so the warranty is already null.

OP; go for it and let us know how high you get the rpms and what speed.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hmm... maybe watch out for flying shrapnel?...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Thanks Scotty

I’ve already toasted a terminal that I’ve had to tap, so maybe I’ll guinea pig this one and max it out - then regret it -
With 23" tall tires, 8000RPM is 44MPH, which might be a little less than sane to attempt in a lifted cart.

The armature in my stock PDS motor was spinning a bit over 8000RPM when it exploded, but I'm pretty sure the failure was caused by a combination of excessive heat, high RPM and strong Regen braking since it stayed together until I lifted my foot off the pedal as I neared a sharp curve at the bottom of the hill. Fortunately, both rear tires locked up equally when the motor seized and I slide to a stop in more or less a straight line, but it was a wild ride.

Unless the motor is specifically balanced and banded for high speed, I'd stay below 6500RPM, since the centrifugal force trying to pull the armature apart gets ridiculously high really quick as RPM increases and unenhanced armatures aren't held together all that well.

Be safe.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Ok - so the motor finally blew!! Was doing 35 at about 7000 rpm this morning on way to a friends house - felt I was pushing it to much and them BAM!! Starting getting this clanky sound and smelled something burning.

Cart lost all of it's punch, limped in to my friends house and it seems the motor is toast.

I can still drive it at about 25% standard power, but that's it.

Had RPM's up to 7000 - well above manufacturers recommended 6000 as Scotty stated.

Now I need to find a new motor - thinking I'll go back to D&D unless anyone has better suggestions.
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'd give Chuck at EMP a call. He'll design a motor to fit your needs/desires and do high speed banding if you want to spin it fast.
http://empinc.biz/
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'd give Chuck at EMP a call. He'll design a motor to fit your needs/desires and do high speed banding if you want to spin it fast.
But be fair and tell him exactly how the cart is set up & what you do with it. And that you just smoked a newer Admiral motor. He will put all of this into building you the best motor match up.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:20 AM   #17
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'll second the recommendation for Chuck at EMP. He is incredibly thorough about finding out what you have, what you want, and laying out the options.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

And put in a temperature switch for shutdown if needed
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
And put in a temperature switch for shutdown if needed
I went with the banding and the thermostat switch. For anyone else interested, his motors can be configured for speed or torque on the fly via a rotary type mechanism or a contactor. It can also be done via some jumpers on the motor itself, which is how I have mine setup for speed. I have plenty of torque that way for what I do, but I could see being able to change back and forth a good option for some people. I hadn’t heard of this before, and it wasn’t an extra charge outside of getting the switching mechanism, so I was wondering if this is something that can be done with all motors??? Mine is a series.

Dela, I think I saw in another post that you’re trying to get a new motor right away. I’d humbly suggest taking a little time and contacting Chuck. I really couldn’t believe how thorough they are. I filled out a long questionnaire about the cart and how I use it, then was sent back three pages of information on three different options. He was very helpful on the phone too.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Ok so here is some photos of the damage. Motor was still working at about 20% so not sure if repairable or not. Going to see if I can get a repair shop to fix it, looks like it’s just those ‘coils’ that got toasted, two out of four. Got a recommendation of a local shop, I’ll give it a go just for the knowledge.

Threw the oem motor back in this morning , sacrificing speed to roll and save some dough until I figure out my next step. My impatience generally costs me so I’m going to try to ‘be mature and patient’. - we’ll see how long that lasts.
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO