lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Stuck brake drum - how much heat?

My 2002 PDS cart needed brake shoes, something I expected to be an easy job. It's turned into a nightmare job.

The passenger side was no problem, but the brake drum on the driver side will not come off. The castle nut came off easily, but the drum is somehow stuck. I've read all the old threads and have tried everything mentioned. I backed off the adjuster and I don't think the shoes are what's holding it, so I'm thinking it's just rust around the axle.

I went to AutoZone and "borrowed" a puller, but I have now bought it - put so much pressure on it that it stripped the threads right off it. I put so much pressure on it that I can't imagine how the drum is still stuck. I've cut 2 slots in it nearly to the axle and have driven in wedges to separate it, but it still holds on.

I have tried heating it, but maybe I didn't get it hot enough. How hot can I get it around the axle without ruining the bearings? Thanks for any ideas.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stuck brake drum - how much heat?

Usually the problem with EZGOs is the drums coming loose.
My suggestion would be to carefully cut it off. Drums aren’t really that expensive, especially considering the hassle you’ve already been through.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Tap the drum onward with a small sledge. If it moves at all your problem is not the shaft > see below...
When the shoes are worn to the metal the metal starts cutting into the drum.
This locks the drum onto the cart. And no amount of pulling will release it.
Adjust the shoes down using the star adjuster accessible through the inspection hole. (use a small flashlight and common screwdriver)
If the adjustment will not release the drum, you are probably in for a new drum, groove worn too big to salvage it. I've even seen the shoe cut a full circular section off of the drum...
Anyway - worst case scenario you cut or break the drum. Or release the shoes by cutting the retainer studs(2) off on the back side. These little flat (nail heads) can be dremeled or chiseled off. Then try your puller again - the shoes should fold inward allowing the drum to come off or at least give enough access to be able to pry the drum over the edge of the shoe.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies. Scotty, first thing I did was search the forum and read your previous posts on how to use two screwdrivers to back off the adjuster. I went the wrong way first and the shoes locked the drum so that it would not turn. I then turned it the other direction until it stopped. It could be that it didn't go far enough, but I can't get it to turn any more so I think it is all the way open. I'll cut off the 2 studs and see if that helps. This drum is ruined and I've already ordered a new one along with a spring kit and it includes the 2 studs.

I'll give this a try and report back. One thing frustrating about reading old threads is that the OP usually doesn't come back to tell what happened, so I won't do that.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Some penetrating oil on the axle might help along with a bigger hammer and a few "worthless MFers" thrown in there. That usually helps me with stuck objects or at least feels better anyway.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycason View Post
Some penetrating oil on the axle might help along with a bigger hammer and a few "worthless MFers" thrown in there. That usually helps me with stuck objects or at least feels better anyway.
First thing I did was spray it with PB blaster, and I've given it several shots since. Haven't tried the MFer yet, but have considered hauling the cart into the garden and burying it with the tractor.

So I grinded the studs off and nothing changed. I took the grinder back out and made one of the cuts a lot bigger so that I could get needle nose pliers into it. I removed all the springs from the shoes and took a chisel and drove the shoes away from the drum. It still doesn't move, so I'm thinking it's safe to say the shoes are not what was holding it.

It seems impossible that rust could be holding it to this extent; is there any other possibility?

I guess I need to go town and try to find another bolt for the puller and try to pull it again. Should I apply heat as I pull it?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have read about 1 or 2 that were rusted to the shaft this bad. Heat should create expansion which is supposed to break the bond. If you are going to apply heat order new bearings and seals now.

I've had luck putting the puller on and loading it up with as much tension as I dared then hammering on the drum or bolting on a throw away rim and hitting it with a 5 lb hammer from behind, rotate 1/4, hit it again and rotate, and again and again.

Very worse case cut the drum through the hub.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
coosa
Gone Wild

I decided I would probably have to cut it off anyway, so I started grinding. I wanna post the picture that documents my case for winning the award for Worst Stuck Brake Drum in World History. Everything inside has fallen off and only a little metal is left to hold it, yet it still clings to the axle. I don't see how rust could be this strong.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Try heating it up again and putting candle wax on the axle where it can wick it up into the splines. I had a machinest show me that once and it was amazing how well it worked. He said the wax almost has the same viscosity as water and penetrates well and provides excellent lubrication when it starts to move. Also rap it with a hammer from the sides a couple of time. Don't bend the axle but give it a couple of wacks 90 degrees to the axles while the puller is taught.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
rib33024

Your not the only one this has happen to. There is other threads here about the same problem. They had to cut it off. One member never did get all of it off the axle. He had to cut enough off to get to the C clip and remove the axle and get another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I decided I would probably have to cut it off anyway, so I started grinding. I wanna post the picture that documents my case for winning the award for Worst Stuck Brake Drum in World History. Everything inside has fallen off and only a little metal is left to hold it, yet it still clings to the axle. I don't see how rust could be this strong.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO