lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Captkaos
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Newly acquired non working 1999 EZGO

I have recently acquired a 1999 EZGO TXT 36V with Sepex DSC and the AMD (Black) motor. (based on research.) The cart is lifted with 22" offroad tires.

The cart has no batteries in it, but was a working cart prior. The owner started having issues with charging and just abandoned it (2 years ago) and went to a UTV.

I have a 36V charger with it but none of the wiring is hooked up to the controller, etc. It has what I believe everything for the 36V, but I am not 100% sure.

Since I am starting from scratch, I would like to convert this to a 48V cart for better range and torque. OR should I just get it running with the 36V first?

It is my understanding that the AMD motor can be used with 48V. What all would I need to do this? I know I need Batteries, should I get 8x6 or 6x8? Will the prior fit? What controller should I get, what charger?

I can spend around $1500..

Attached are pics of the cart...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181231_155904.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181231_140108.jpg (226.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181231_160015.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newly acquired non working 1999 EZGO

http://www.cartsunlimited.net

Go there to learn all about upgrades and read a bunch of other great info about your cart.

Since you’re starting from scratch, I’d definitely go 48v, but the answer lies in what you want the cart to do.
Desired speed
Number of passengers
Terrain
Tire size

Email Scottyb at that website what you’re looking to accomplish and he’ll set you up with a package to make it happen.

8 6v give more ah but weigh more and you have to get pretty creative or put the 8th battery in the bag well. For 42v a 7th battery fits under the seat. The most popular choice is 6 8v. Lithium would be the best option, but wouldn’t leave room in your $1500 budget for the controller, solenoid, etc that you need.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Captkaos
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Emailed Scottyb before posting this and got a bounceback on the email that there would be a delay in response. Figured it was the New Year and he is probably doing what I am doing, not answering a lot of business email and spending time with family.

Already read his site also prior to posting. Looking for the best bang for the buck.

Speed 20-23 is supposedly stock right now and I would be find with that.
Passengers would be normally 2, but up to 4 (mostly 2 kids and 2 adults)
Terrain is a hilly and dirt/asphalt. about 30% hilly. 50/50 dirt/asphalt with asphalt based on where we go with Asphalt the normal straight route with hills.
Tires are currently 22" tires, don't plan to go up from there.

Haven't found anything on the Lithium setup where do I look for that...
amount is ballpark, I potentially can go higher but don't want to go above $2000-2500 as I need to allow for a rear flip seat and weather enclosure. No idea on those either.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I’d get the 500 amp Alltrax with the 400 amp solenoid.

To learn about lithium options, see the sub forum at the top of this page. I believe they now have lithium sub forums for the ezgo and cc pages. You can also just search lithium. We have a lot of members here that have made the switch. It’s more expensive and takes some learning to figure out how to set it up, but it’s a lot lighter, is pretty much maintenance free, and supposedly lasts longer.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Captkaos
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks I will do some searching. I am also emailing with Scottyb also.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
coosa
Gone Wild

It's gonna be a challenge to do everything you want and stay in your budget. It will really be tough to stay within $1500, but maybe not impossible.

I have owned and kept up lifted carts similar to yours for about 20 years now, and I've managed to do all the work on them myself with a lot of help from the good folks on this board. That being said, I would really struggle with trying to convert a cart to lithium. Unless you have a really strong electronics background, I would forget that option and focus on a lead acid battery set up. I think you should learn on that before lithium.

Most people here will tell you to go to 48 volts and that is surely good advice. However, you will need a new charger if you do, so that adds another $300 right off the top. I have a 2002 PDS cart that is a little different from yours, but I left it 36 volts and it more than meets my needs. It runs 25 mph on flat pavement with an Alltrax 500 controller. ScottyB sells a HD solenoid that you will need for sure. Be sure to use at least #4 cables on it, and a lot of people now use #2. Scotty sells these too, or you can make up your own if you buy a crimper.

I've had good luck with Trojan batteries, but some recommend other brands. Be sure to research it well if you use something else. I wouldn't try to save money here.

So if you stay with 36 volts, you need batteries, cables, solenoid, and controller. That would probably take up your $1500, and there is always something unexpected. Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
EzgoTXT2002
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I know at some point you will address the battery
supports. Nothing like a hidden surprise in all that
rusty metal to ruin one's day.

Good luck in the restoration of your '99 E-Z-Go !
EzgoTXT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #8
Captkaos
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can go up on cost if it warrants the need, I just don't want to go overboard to where I am too deep in it to get any of it out.

I have everything needed to make it run as a 36V short of wiring it and buying batteries. (see attached) Previous owner put #2 cables on it also. I know nothing about wiring it up, so...

Tray is on the list to be addressed. After I cleaned it up it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I have a welder and angle iron....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190101_180818.jpg (145.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Captkaos; 01-01-2019 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: forgot attachement
Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
I can go up on cost if it warrants the need, I just don't want to go overboard to where I am too deep in it to get any of it out.

I have everything needed to make it run as a 36V short of wiring it and buying batteries. (see attached) Previous owner put #2 cables on it also. I know nothing about wiring it up, so...

Tray is on the list to be addressed. After I cleaned it up it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I have a welder and angle iron....
I would go 48v if you're already having to buy batteries. With the way the cart is setup you'll still have to upgrade to controller and FNR switch if you stay with 36v or you'll keep burning them up. You'll need a few longer #2 cables for the batteries due to the position of the lugs on 6v vs. 8v (unless the previous owner planned for it). The cost of batteries and charger is going to hit you for $800-$1000 depending on the price of batteries in your area. Then with the kit from ScottyB (Item #8 under sepex controllers) and heavy duty FNR switch or reversing contactor you're looking at another $800-$900. So total just for the drive system could range you anywhere from $1600 to $2000 to go with 48V, but you won't regret it. You could then recoup some of your money from the upgrade by selling your 36v stuff.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Sideways
Gone Wild

Just for grins, you might want to jack the rear up off the ground and test the motor to make sure it is good.
Don't forget to check/change the rear end fluid as
well.
48v is the way to go but you will also need to upgrade your charger as well.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO