lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
FA7505
Not Yet Wild

Default E_Z_GO ELECTRIC brakes locked

Just a note. I am a 77 year old lady so please be patient. The EZ-GO RXV, bought new 5-12-2010. Has original batteries. Has been trouble free. Kept charged. Serviced yearly.

Brakes locked up. Cart-Aide hooked something up to make it roll onto trailer.

Before having it repaired, I would like to know something about what might need to be done. I read about a brake motor, solenoid, etc., but doesn't mean much to me.

Questions:
Can the old batteries cause the problem?
Solenoid? Is this year included in group that had solenoids replaced under warranty?

I realize that you may not be able to diagnose the problem. But, I just want to have and idea what could be the cause of the lock-up. Then we will be prepared to have it repaired.

Thank you!
FA7505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: E_Z_GO ELECTRIC brakes locked

First off, welcome to the forum!!

Yes old bad batteries can cause this. RXV carts do not like low voltage. They do funny things including not letting the brake release. Hopefully it will be something simple. New set of batteries are not cheap but cheaper than a new cart. Let us know what they say.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:14 AM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: E_Z_GO ELECTRIC brakes locked

IF it had the old handle brake it's known to fail, and if it has the tiny solenoid and not the larger 'thrombetta' solenoid used later, that should be upgraded to the latter.

2008-2011 RXVs were the Danahar variant, and not nearly as reliable IMO as the later Curtis versions.

'hooked something up to move to the trailer' sounds like the two connectors under the controller cover designed to release the brake in a no-run situation. if that was done, the brake may actually be fine (otherwise it stays locked). That method bypasses the controller/solenoid and allows the car to be moved. So the solenoid, or the grey wire from the charging receptacle to the main positive post could have failed or broke off.

A battery cable failing or that wire from the charge port to the main positive breaking off will cause the car to shut down and stop, like when a brake fails. a failing brake usually makes the car go slower and slower and then slam to a stop and emit some horrid burning smell
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
FA7505
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: E_Z_GO ELECTRIC brakes locked

Thank you for the welcome and thank you both for your helpful replies!

The mechanic just replaced the batteries, and the cart is going like new! He did not look into the solenoid or brake motor, just did the batteries first. And, we were prepared with some knowledge of what might have been the problem. I think we are very lucky and now assume that it was the just the batteries, not something more serious!

Thanks again.
FA7505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO