lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
klargo100
Not Yet Wild

Default Fixing an electric motor

So i think my motor has gone out. I disconnected it and connected the S2 and A1... i think that’s what the YouTube video said to do if I remember right and used jumper cables to connect (2) of the batteries together....nothing. Is there something I can do? A fuse? New part or something. The motor is relatively new. Bought brand new 3-4 years ago. Worked before the hurricane here in Florida. Was not submerged or anything. Took motor off and no water. Everything looks good actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
klargo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Fixing an electric motor

You have S1 connected to A2.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Look at the diagram, It's S1 to A2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor test.jpg (10.8 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Been a while. See below. More than 1 way to do this.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Johnnie B says do it this way. With neg. to A1 and pos. to S2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190121_190959530.jpg (641.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The motor only has a rear bearing, so the shaft is not supported in front when it isn't mounted on the differential and will not turn no matter how the armature and field winding are jumpered or how much voltage is applied. However the magic smoke may escape, since the motor is stalled and the amp draw is at its max.

As long as one of the A studs is connected to the battery and one of the S studs is connected to the other battery post and two remaining A and S studs are connected together, AND THE MOTOR IS MOUNTED ON THE DIFFERENTIAL, it ought to spin either CW or CCW with 18VDC applied and might turn with 12VDC applied.

NOTE: SepEx motors are connected differently for testing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The motor only has a rear bearing, so the shaft is not supported in front when it isn't mounted on the differential and will not turn no matter how the armature and field winding are jumpered or how much voltage is applied. However the magic smoke may escape, since the motor is stalled and the amp draw is at its max.

As long as one of the A studs is connected to the battery and one of the S studs is connected to the other battery post and two remaining A and S studs are connected together, AND THE MOTOR IS MOUNTED ON THE DIFFERENTIAL, it ought to spin either CW or CCW with 18VDC applied and might turn with 12VDC applied.

NOTE: SepEx motors are connected differently for testing.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You have corrosion in your brush holders and The brushes are stuck.
Pull the springs off the brushes, and pull the brushes out.
Take the brush end off the motor, use a brass or stainless steel fine wire brush to remove the corrosion from the brush holders and the sides of the brushes. When cleaning the brushes only run the wire brush lengthwise down the side. It should only need two or three swipes to clean.
Stick each brush back in its brush holder and make sure it slides freely all the way through.
Use fine 800 grit or higher sand paper to remove that corrosion from the commutator. Only move with the rotation direction of the commutator. Do not sand side to side. Only sand as much as necessary to get the bulk of the corrosion off. Sanding too much will leave un-even areas on the commutator that will only be able to be removed by a lathe. Use electronic component cleaner or electric contact cleaner to remove and residue or dust from sanding. Spray it with compressed air to dry if you have it. Otherwise, clean the commutator thoroughly with cleaner, paying attention to make sure there is no dust in the gaps between the bars. Use a lint free cloth to wipe the commutator and armature dry. Allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes in a well vented area to ensure that it completely dries before re-assembling the motor.
After cleaning the brush holder assemble the brush holder back onto the motor and make sure the armature is in place and the bearing is secured in the retainer before inserting the brushes.
Once the bearing retainer screws are tight, insert the brushes into the holders and flip the springs over them. Pull back on each brush about 1/4” just to make sure it moves freely and slides back down to make contact with the commutator.
Re-install the motor to the transaxle for testing.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

There is a good chance that an alternator shop will get that thing working for under $100. The last one I had fixed was $70 and that included new brushes. New brush springs and a bearing can get pricey but those don't go bad all that often.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
klargo100
Not Yet Wild

Thank you to everyone who helped me on this post. I took the motor apart as described and cleaned the parts and it works again. Very happy and grateful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
klargo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO