lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 97 txt 48 volt conversion worth it

I have a 97 ezgo txt series cart. I lifted it 6 inches and put the cart on 23 inch tires. Besides headlights, mirrors and the lift it’s all stock. I’ve read plenty forums and found plenty information but all it did was make me more confused with everyone’s opinions. At the moment on my iPhone app I’m getting 7-8mph around the neighborhood and down to 5mph on hills.

Not looking to make a race car but I’m looking to get around 15-20 mph.

Option 1. Keep it 36 volt. Put new batteries and get a bandit motor. I’ve heard I can get around 15-18mph with just that done. Approx. 700$ all said and done

Option 2. 48 volt conversion. 200 amp solenoid. 400amp alltrax new 8 volt batteries. And a new charger. Not sure on the mph increase? Is it worth leaving the motor stock or should I get the bandit done as well. Approx 1100$ plus a new charger (how ever that much costs). Also with the motor being a 1997 it’s probaby pretty tired and would need the bandit upgrade too.

I figure if I do option 1 I can save some coin and add a rear seat as well at the moment I’m just a 2 seat cart. Bout ready for new batteries. Looking to do it soon. Sorry for the repost but I have about 15 screens on my iPhone with about 15 different opinions about what is the best option.
Speedfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 txt 48 volt conversion worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak95 View Post
I have a 97 ezgo txt series cart. I lifted it 6 inches and put the cart on 23 inch tires. Besides headlights, mirrors and the lift it’s all stock. I’ve read plenty forums and found plenty information but all it did was make me more confused with everyone’s opinions. At the moment on my iPhone app I’m getting 7-8mph around the neighborhood and down to 5mph on hills.

Not looking to make a race car but I’m looking to get around 15-20 mph.

Option 1. Keep it 36 volt. Put new batteries and get a bandit motor. I’ve heard I can get around 15-18mph with just that done. Approx. 700$ all said and done

Option 2. 48 volt conversion. 200 amp solenoid. 400amp alltrax new 8 volt batteries. And a new charger. Not sure on the mph increase? Is it worth leaving the motor stock or should I get the bandit done as well. Approx 1100$ plus a new charger (how ever that much costs). Also with the motor being a 1997 it’s probaby pretty tired and would need the bandit upgrade too.

I figure if I do option 1 I can save some coin and add a rear seat as well at the moment I’m just a 2 seat cart. Bout ready for new batteries. Looking to do it soon. Sorry for the repost but I have about 15 screens on my iPhone with about 15 different opinions about what is the best option.

I’ll give you some things to think about until the experts see this and jump in.

Something is wrong with your cart right now if you’re only getting 7-8 mph. A stock 36v cart went 12-14. Your bigger tires are killing your torque (ability to get off the line and up hills) but should be giving you more top speed than stock.

Age and condition of your batteries is a good place to start. Get a digital meter and check pack voltage 10-12 hrs after charger shuts off. Then check pack voltage under load followed by a reading on each battery. You either have a bad pack, or some issues with your high amperage cables.

Theoretically you would get 33% more torque and speed by upgrading to 48v vs 36.

Big tires, additional loads (back seats and the passengers sitting on them) and terrain greatly increase the demands on the drive system. The experts generally recommend 48v for anyone that has the setup you do. There are folks with upgraded motors that make it work, but the increase in voltage allows less work on the whole system. Many run the stock series motor on 48v with success
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You said you've been reading a lot here, but seem to think there are opinions, and not facts. Once you understand the basics of how they work, there's only science. The only opinions are if you can't afford to go all the way, what's the best compromise, and often that''s also science, and not opinion.

You you have to know where you are, and where you want to be, even if it takes you a couple of years to get there. Start here for some good reading on facts, not opinion.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I disagree. Speedfreak you bring up some good points about what may/may not work for you in your goals and budget.

You will find great info here from the past posts and members willing to help you in your decisions to fit your needs.

There is no cookie cutter solution for everything. That includes science.

Welcome to BGW!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:37 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I just mean he already has a '97 series cart, with 23" tires. We don't know how old his batteries are, which is important for figuring what makes sense. If they're pretty new, it may not make sense to go to 48 volts right now. If they are ready to be replaced, he has a very important decision on whether to go 48.

With a series to go to 48, he'll need batteries, HD FNR or reversing contactor, cables, solenoid, charger, and controller. That much is science. You can't go 48 on a series cart without doing everything in red.

As to which batteries, FNR (or reversing contactor), cables, solenoid, charger, controller, and motor, I agree with Mooncarter, these are the decisions that have alternatives. And you may even consider different tires, but I assumed you were gonna keep your new ones.

If he can't afford it now, he can go in phases, but if he can never afford it, then 48 isn't for him. His stock motor will be fine up to 400 amps, which I did. I cranked it up to 500 amps when I upgraded my motor.

He is asking the right questions now, rather than after buying stuff that works now, but limits his choices down the road.

My controller, HD FNR, 2 AWG cables, solenoid, and stock motor would work fine at 36 volts, then 48 volts when batteries finally failed to satisfy.

If he wants to upgrade the motor and leave the rest for later, he'll have to see what motor will work at 36 volts, 6 AWG cables, and 275 amps. I burned up two solenoids and a FNR with all stock series, with a rear seat and lots of abuse.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:10 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Going from stock tires to 23" tires affects torque and speed.

Going from stock 275 amps to 400 or 500 amps affects torque and speed.

Going from 36 volts to 42 or 48 volts affects torque and speed.

Going from stock to upgraded motor affects torque and speed.

For a series cart, changing from 36 volts to 42 or 48 volts = batteries, HD FNR or reversing contactor, cables, solenoid, charger, and controller. This is an expensive upgrade, but if you think you'll ever go to 42 or 48 volts, it's good to plan ahead.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #7
Speedfreak95
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When I bought the cart I spent $700 on it. Needed new plastics as it was hideous but I bought it for something to cruise around the neighborhood with my 2 year old son. Stock it rode 7-8 mph.. I lifted it and put it on 23 inch tires as I was told by some locals it would increase 2-3 mph with tires alone. I never seen an increase in speed. Distance is no issue we cruise for an hour plus and I’m never scared it’s gonna die on me. Batteries are 2015 which I’m assuming are the culprit as well as a tired motor being a 1997 cart (22year old motor)..

As far as being able to afford it not sure who started that? Weather I could or could not afford anything isn’t the question right now?I have a lifted modded 900cc rzr for speed. The golf cart is something I can actually enjoy with my son for safety as well as the wife allowing it. Like I said in the beginning of the post not looking to make a race car I’m just looking to see what would get me the results I want in the 15-18 mph obviously something isn’t corriect if I’m just getting 8mph on 23s.

I don’t wanna go out and buy 6volt batteries and a bandit motor if it’s only going to get me 13-14 mph.
Speedfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I mentioned "not being able to afford" going to 48 volts, not meaning you're poor, just meaning you probably have a limit for how much you want to spend on it. Series carts are expensive to upgrade to 48 volts, as you have to upgrade nearly everything but the motor.

While it's not absolute, in general terms for more speed, you need more voltage, and for more torque you need more amps.

Download the Manuals here:

Owners Manual for some newer electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/man...645-g01-gb.pdf

Technician's service and repair manual electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28646.pdf

Service Parts Manuals electric carts
http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/28789-g01.pdf

Do you have a handheld digital multimeter (DMM) or digital volt meter (DVM)? It would be good to know the individual battery voltages to two decimal places, as well as pack voltage. I assume you are charging them each and every time you drive it?

Whichever way you choose, have you looked into your brakes? The manual has a whole chapter on this, but if you go faster, you'll need to be able to stop.

I doubt if your motor needs anything more than possibly brushes and a new bearing. My '98 motor's brushes were fine when I replaced the bearing. The manual has good instructions for tearing it apart, measuring the brushes, and putting it back together.

As to being able to get six new batteries and a Bandit motor for $700, I don't see how. I paid $105 each for T-105s eight years ago. A Bandit costs $275 plus $40 - $50 s/h, plus your s/h, plus depending on the condition of your motor, there could be extras. Have you contacted Plum-Quick? I doubt they would recommend running this on all stock FNR, controller, solenoid, and cables.

https://plumquick.com/bandit-electric-motor-golf-cart/

I don't remember what I paid for my series upgrade with stock motor, but batteries were 8 x $105, plus charger, 500 amp controller, HD FNR, 2 AWG cables, and SD solenoid. I'd be shocked if I only spent $1,100. I did upgrade the motor later on, and get between 25 and 30 mph with stock tires on flats - I'm just guessing, as I don't have anywhere near me that's flat long enough.

Look at posts specifically for upgraded series carts to get ideas. DCS, PDS, or newer AC drives won't help you decide, as they are different beasts. If you definitely want a back seat, you pretty much need to upgrade your controller, cables, FNR, and solenoid, to accommodate the added weight. Once you've sunk that much money in it, I'd go ahead and get a new charger and go to 48 volts. The motor can come later, but you'll need to keep an eye on motor temp.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just upgraded mine to 48v in Oct. It cost about $1700 for batteries, HD FNR, solenoid, charger, and controller and I'm getting around 15-16mph now with the stock motor in it. I upgraded my controller, FNR, and solenoid first with the kit from ScottyB and was getting around 8-9mph with my bad/weak 36v batteries and they went to crap during the couple of months I had it torn down doing all the upgrades so after numerous questions and research on how to try and save them I went ahead and upgraded to 48v.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

I just upgraded my cart to 48 volts as well and I'm seeing right around 16-17 mph with 22" tires and a stock motor. New Alltrax 500 controller, contactor, cables and solenoid. My cart didn't come with batteries, so it was a no brainer for me. My next purchase will be a new motor for a little more speed (20-22 mph) and more torque. You should figure out why your cart is only doing 7-8 mph before you do anything. Good luck
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48 volt conversion, bandit upgrade install
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO