lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #11
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2015 EZGO RXV Cold Weather Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaninwindsor View Post
Received and installed the brand new controller. Before replacement the brake would release most of the time. With the new controller, it won't release at all. Double checked cabling, tested the tow mode - brake isn't releasing at all. Based on lots and lots of posts about brake issues, seems like I need to buy another new brake?

When pulling the connector to the brake and then putting key to forward, 50 volts seen across the connector pins. Resistance of the brake itself is about 25.1 ohms. The person that installed the new brake had the bolts cranked pretty tight (saw some comments in the forum saying to NOT over tighten those bolts.) Should be 53 to 65 in. lbs (6-8 Nm).

Confused on the HD brake vs. the OEM brake - is the 2015 RXV capable of running the HD brake without damaging the controller? Yes

Thanks for entertaining my curiosity and ignorance
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #12
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Loosen the three bolts on the brake until the brake will move freely. Put the key in neutral and flip the run/tow switch back and forth a few times. You should hear the brake release and apply as you flip the switch. Then, with the switch in TOW, tighten the bolts evenly to 50 in/lbs if you have a torque wrench. If you don't have a torque wrench only tighten them until the lock washers are compressed. If that doesn't help remove one bolt at a time and check the bolt for corrosion or wear. The brake works more like a clutch than a normal brake. The pressure plate slides on the three bolts and has to move freely.

If it still doesn't work you can remove the brake and take it apart. Check for any corrosion or damage. If you don't see any obvious problem its probably time for a new brake. Only use an OEM brake. I've never used anything but the standard brake. The best deals on brakes seem to be on ebay, just make sure it is oem.
rngilliland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all for hanging in there with me. The only way I could get the brake to release with the new 350A controller was to use the procedure under the splash guard - brake released just fine then.

Removed the brake and inspected it internally - it is in very good shape and other than a little brake smell is very clean. Replaced it using care to not over-torque it.

Checked the encoders for varying voltages and they passed what Bob has put in other posts (.6 - 4.5 volts or so). The brake switch definitely engaged the brake.

Just got done removing the new controller and putting the old one back in. Since the garage warmed up from all of my frustration and heavy sighing the original controller seems to work just fine with all tests. I am sure after it snows in tonight and into the morning the garage will cool off again put me back to where is was before with interesting cold behavior.

I used due care and caution handling the new unit - wish I had the handheld diagnostics device to see what the controller doesn't like about Colorado. Actually considering buying one but most of the posts I see suggest I won't be able to get amazing performance. Is it possible the new controller is less tolerant of whatever is causing my issue with cold behavior that the model that came stock in 2015?

Even though this is frustrating, it is also kinda fun
gmaninwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Aah, just think. You can have the honor of having a new disease named after you!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Had to try the new controller again. Didn’t work. The original was software version 4.1, new one is 5.0. I can only assume the new one is a bit more strict about the encoders- position sensors. I decided to try the sensor that was removed from the throttle and plugged it in place of the installed brake sensor and it passed the test and worked.

I replaced that sensor on the actual brake and then drove it in the snow. Looks like I need to get my buddy to tweak the speed on his console - top speed is way down but starting speed/torque is better.

I appreciate you guys that offered suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The 350a controllers ship with Freedom mode disabled. The local Ezgo dealer can passkey it to enable for a fee, or someone with a high level laptop can enable it. Speeds can be turned up to 19.5 on stock wheels (or higher if the person doing it knows how).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #17
gmaninwindsor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The 350a controllers ship with Freedom mode disabled. The local Ezgo dealer can passkey it to enable for a fee, or someone with a high level laptop can enable it. Speeds can be turned up to 19.5 on stock wheels (or higher if the person doing it knows how).

Fortunately one of my golf friends has the high-level programmer and I have 20.5 wheels so I would anticipate snappier performance. Hard to describe how nice it is to jump in the cart and have it go when I need it to go - cold or colder [emoji4][emoji3587]
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO