lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default o8 RXV burning smell

Got an o8 RXV. Recently refurbished it, new trojan batteries, 14" wheels, 19.6 speed code. Still has the original brake, the one with the lever.

Today I was blowing down the road at about 23 mph, and started smelling something burning. I pulled over and lifted the seat. I can't see any damage at all, but the smell of burning is very strong. Cart still runs.

Once i got back on the road, i didn't push the pedal so hard, and it seemed the smell was not as strong.

All battery connections are tight and pristeen.

What could be the issue?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That brake probably. Seems to always be it, I'm txt type, one of the rxv gurus should be along.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: o8 RXV burning smell

If the cart started stinking, but still got home, you probably didnt do any permenant damage. 9 times out of 10 what you describe is a motor brake problem. If you want to see if it was a brake problem, remove the brake (the smell will be very strong after brake is removed if its the problem). To get to the brake, remove the 2x T-27 screws on the access cover (where golf bags go). Then find the round brake with the 3x 10mm bolts that secure the brake (it is on the far left "drivers side" of the motor). Chock the wheels so the cart cant roll away after the brake is unplugged & removed (only to be done on Level ground or concrete floor for safety). Post what you find, if its the brake, specific installation instructions need to be followed for a successful brake installation. Hang the brake on the end of the motor without bolts, just barely start at least 2 of the three bolts (be sure plug is pointed same as original direction). Put the "run/maintainence" switch in "maintainence" position, then key switch in "N" position. Then tighten all 3 brake bolts just snugly enough to fully compress the lock washers on the bolts (it is CRITICAL that these bolts not be overtightened or brake repar will not last long).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

CG, i will check it out. I have a new brake, so i will just go ahead and install it.

What makes the old brake start stinking?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi...
CG is correct-- I would bet the farm on smell being brake.

Old style brake (lever) will start to drag slightly. Then brake overheats and drags worse.
Once this process starts, brake must be replaced.

Good luck.
Keep us posted !!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Two steps i forgot. Clean the brake mounting surface thoroughly. And, just before putting key in "N", plug the brake back in.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

CG, what do i clean the surface with? Just wipe it with a rag, or spray something on it?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

I spray a rag with brake clean, then wipe end of motor. I probably would not spray the end of the motor with cleaner, dont wanna risk washing anything into the (expensive) encoder bearing.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
PinballDad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My burning smell on my 2008 RXV ended up being the motor. Took it to a dealer and that is what they told me. Would have had them do the work but was super expensive (over $1.2k). I picked up a used motor on ebay for $400 and all is good again.
PinballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I went ahead and replaced the brake. Then i test drove it, and i think it fixed the problem.

The cart belongs to a customer, that is on vacation, and has not returned to drive the cart yet. So it is sitting waiting for them.

I have my fingers crossed, when they return and drive it, it is fixed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO