lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
aeson
Not Yet Wild

Default 92 ez go marathon acts as if the petal is floored

Good evening. I recently got a free 4 wheeled EZ GO marathon. It needed new batteries and I changed them and everything is working fine except that if you engage the petal the cart lurches forward as if you have floored it. This happens in both forward and reverse. If you take you foot off the petal the motor stops but it seems to only want to go the one speed, it may be top speed i'm not sure. I am an HVAC tech and pretty handy at troubleshooting electrical systems but don't have too much experience with DC motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This model has a speed controller.

Last edited by aeson; 07-01-2015 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Added more details.
aeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 92 ez go marathon acts as if the petal is floored

Check throttle sensor potentiometer. Black & white wires on controller terminals 2 & 3. Its 0-5000 ohm throttle Should be near zero ohm with pedal at rest and near 5000 ohm at full throttle. Do this test on the wires with them unplugged from controller, and key off, shifter in middle position not F or R.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150701_183127.jpg (57.4 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
crash test dummy

slow post .... lol

more than likely it's the Potentiometer

good read >>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-pictures.html
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
aeson
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. Ill check it tomorrow after work and report back. Can this piece be replaced individually or is it an integral part of the speed control?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Replaced by itself, but not real cheap. Around $100 if i recall. If you are handy with soldering, i think the potentiometer is available seperate of the whole "PB-6" throttle sensor assembly for less $.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
aeson
Not Yet Wild

OK so I have an update. I checked the potentiometer. It appears to be operating in the correct range. To further check it i bought a cheap pot. at radio-shack and wired it in to try that and I get the same result. So i'm guessing its the speed control. Am I wrong? Interestingly enough if I remove the Pot. entirely and try to drive the cart doesn't go at all.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Google your controller model # and make sure it is compatible with 0-5k not 5k-0 or ITS
Somebody could have put the wrong control in it, done it myself
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
aeson
Not Yet Wild

I'm not sure I understand. Ill check though. The model is a 1204-027 by the way. The cart worked until its previous owner died than it sat for quite some time. I don't think anyone monkeyed with it in that time.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
aeson
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help thus far guys. After checking the voltages and whatnot and a few things I read from some other posts on this site I decided to change the controller. A local cart shop had one and just finished installing it. The petal works much better now but there is a hiccup. The petal seems to work backwards. Just touching it go to high speed and flooring it make the cart go very slowly. Its essentially working in reverse. I think I may have reversed the wires somewhere. Any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Read post #7. Sounds like your controller and pot are a mismatch. One is 0-5k and the other is 5k-0. Since both appear to be working, look for the cheapest way to get both the same. Either replace one or the other.

OR

You may be able to reverse the leads on the pot to change it from one to the other.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO