lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
BobbyT
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Another Battery Cable Question

I think I already know the answer but before I make more cables I need some sound advice. I have upgraded the battery cables on the battery pack and the cables from the battery pack to the controller and the solenoid. Do I need to do the same between the controller/solenoid and the electric motor ?
Thanks in advance for the help.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Another Battery Cable Question

yes , as i answered your other post . no need to make multiple posts , most ppl when coming in to the forum click on "new posts" and that covers all sections .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

I have a related question. I just changed all my heavy cables.

There is one cable that goes from the selinoid to the controller. In the instructions, you run another cable off the same bolt on the controller to the motor. When I looked at that, I decided to run one cable directly from the selinoid to the motor because I figured less connections.

Then I ran another cable to the controller. This might sound complicated, but I just moved the motor cable to the selinoid. This got me thinking. Would the cable from the selinoid to the controller need to be heavy? If you wire it as the instructions say, it has all the current for the motor and controller. But the way I have it, it only has the current for the controller.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the way Alltrax recommends is the most efficient way to run the cables, with a very small exception perhaps at 100% PWM operation.

If You look how the high amperage current flows from Controller to the motor when it is operating at less than 100% duty cycle:
When the pulse turns ON (leading edge), the batteries cannot respond quick enough to the current demand, so the capacitors from the Controller discharge into the circuit: (Pack +)->(B+)->(A2)->(A1)->(M-)->(B-)->(Pack -)

When the pulse goes off, the current cannot just stop, so it continues to flow through the controller: (B+)->(A2)->(A1)->(M-)->(B+)
So having the cable from solenoid to controller (B+) and a separate cable from (B+) to the motor (A2) provides the most efficient and consistent circuit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

As Sergio illustrated and as shown on the data logs from Alltrax controllers, when the PWM output from the controller is less than 100% duty cycle, the armature amps are greater than battery amps, so the way Alltrax recommends the cabling is the most efficient electrically.

By landing both the short cable from the solenoid' controller side large terminal and the A2 cable from the motor (or wherever it goes in a series cart) on the controller's B+ terminal, you eliminate a foot or so of cable resistance and the resistance of a couple of connections from the armature circuit.

Not much difference perhaps, but every little bit helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO