lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 volt motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

With resistor type series drive when the pedal fully depressed, the only resistance between the battery pack and the motor is the intrinsic resistance of the cables and the incidental series resistance on any connections and contacts.

With a controller type series drive when the pedal is fully depressed, the same resistance exists plus the resistance of the forward biased MOSFETs. In addition, the controller will have a maximum number of amps it will pass.

If the same battery pack and motor are used, there is the potential for slightly more amps being drawn with a resistor type drive than with a controller type drive because there is slightly less resistance in series. However they don't use the same motors, so the theory that a resistor cart is more powerful than any controller cart, needs some qualification to be true.
This questions requires the following information to be established.... and it has been debated but given the motor is drawing unlimited amperage by nature, what is the capacity of the battery pack output at any given time?

Secondly - I seriously doubt a resistor coil system can deliver as much amperage as say a 500 or 700 amp control given the number of small cables, speed wipers, vglides, and 50 amp solenoids in the system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

mutant said:
Quote:
resistor carts are always supplying full power-the resistors waste that energy to reduce speed-so a resistor cart should be run wide open to keep efficiency.....the slower you go the less miles you will travel per charge.......
This is a common misconception: Yes, the resistors waste some power, and yes, it's most efficient at WOT, but the current draw is much less at lower accelerator settings, the resistor bank doesn't just 'burn off' excess power to make the cart run more slowly. Also, I'd bet that you'll get more miles at a lower accelerator setting than at WOT, but you'll get even more miles from a controller cart at that lower setting.

As the SIG says: "this is Ohm's law, there will be a quiz".
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
1. This questions requires the following information to be established.... and it has been debated but given the motor is drawing unlimited amperage by nature, what is the capacity of the battery pack output at any given time?

2. Secondly - I seriously doubt a resistor coil system can deliver as much amperage as say a 500 or 700 amp control given the number of small cables, speed wipers, vglides, and 50 amp solenoids in the system.
1. When stalled, a motor draws max amps it is capable of drawing, but it isn't unlimited. The copper wires the armature and field coils are made from and the carbon brushes have some resistance, so it would seem that the max amps a specific motor could draw would be the DC resistance of the motor's windings and brushes, but based on the information I have in saved data logs and some dyno test data, it appears a motor can draw more amps than the DC resistance (as measured by a handheld DMM) should allow with the voltage applied.

Of course, handheld DMMs don't measure low Ohms accurately.

As for the battery's output amps, for a short period of time a good lead acid battery will tolerate a 3C to 5C discharge rate. I can find the article, but I seem to remember a T-105 will put out 800A (3.5C discharge) for a few seconds.

2. I forgot that the wiper contact is still in series with the motor when the pedal is on the floor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Batteries also have a DC resistance so they limit the current also.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think we can debunck assertion that resistor carts are stronger/faster than controller cars. Glad we could help heli.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think we can debunck assertion that resistor carts are stronger/faster than controller cars. Glad we could help heli.
Nobody said a resistor cart is stronger/faster. I said "in theory" a resistor is more powerful than a controller because a controller allows only so many amps, Where the resistor at full throttle doesn't. Obviously, in practice the wiper may limit it even more. Cables, motors and selinoids arnt even part of the discussion.
Glad I could help you understand.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
jimmyzshack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Nobody said a resistor cart is stronger/faster. I said "in theory" a resistor is more powerful than a controller because a controller allows only so many amps, Where the resistor at full throttle doesn't. Obviously, in practice the wiper may limit it even more. Cables, motors and selinoids arnt even part of the discussion.
I have a resistor cart and put all the old resistor stuff back in with a D&D torque motor 170-004-0002A @ 48volts till my solid state stuff comes in where i'd have a usable cart. On GPS on flat ground it's 17mph which is what the specs say it should be. Mine is a 1981 CC and doesn't use a wiper. The existing wiring is 4 gauge which will be upgraded too. So we'll see what the difference is once everything gets installed. main thing for me was to stop the battery waste because this cart will rarely ever be at WOT.
jimmyzshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post

This is a common misconception:......the resistor bank doesn't just 'burn off' excess power to make the cart run more slowly.
Then why are they there?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #19
Helirich
Gone Wild

How does the resistor work without a wiper?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Help me understand your confusing advice? LOL Okay
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO