lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #1
Dawgfan77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default alternative controller options??

I haven't been able to find a lot of info using the search function, which really surprises me. I've been attempting to cross reference part numbers and data on golf cart controllers vs forktruck/people mover/etc.. controllers. I'm finding 100's of different options with similar properties, but they are much more abundant (which means much cheaper) on the used market. My question is: Has there been any kind of data base, list, chart, etc... of similar Curtis controllers that are not necessarily sold as "golf cart" controllers? There are tons of fully programmable Curtis SepEX controllers that are 36-48V input and 400-600A output that are the exact same frame size. What is it that makes it "Golf Cart" worthy? If its programmable, suitable for 36V or 48V, puts out 400-600Amps, and is the same frame and wiring; it just shocks me that nobody is trying this. I'm a not trying to steer business from the aftermarket controller manufactures, but I'm finding these remanufactured units with full warranty for half the cost. Seems like a no-brainer, so that makes me think I must be missing something....
Dawgfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: alternative controller options??

Never been a fan of "remanufactured" electronics. But that's just because I know a bit about what's inside these things and what daily life puts them through.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My advice is to stay away from Remanufactured units!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That's not what the guy was really asking. I understand everyone's opinion about "remanufactured" controllers. But does anyone have an idea why a forklift controller would not work? Has anyone tried this idea? I am interested.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
ncrr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It would be interesting to see if that would work. Certainly would give you several options. I'd bet that forklift controllers are high amp units....
ncrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

"they are much more abundant (which means cheaper) on the used market."

So are used cars, but a used car with a rebuilt engine is never going to be as reliable as new because of the rest of the old components.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The answer to the original question is: No, there is no SepEx, or Series, controller cross-reference lists that I know of, but I've never looked, so they may exist.

For series drives, it is a matter of adapting the cart's control wiring to a controller whose throttle input is compatible with the throttle system the cart has, or changing the cart's throttle system to match the controller's throttle input requirements.

It is a bit more complex for a sepex drive since the controller's field mapping has to match the motor that is installed in the cart, but if the controller is "Fully" programmable, it is doable, however you'll have to have access to the field weakening limitations map for the cart's motor to do it right.

In a nutshell, while a controller from a forklift, aerial platform, NEV or other devices that use traction motors, may be adaptable to pass amps to the traction motor installed in a golf cart, most cart owners won't go through the effort needed to do so.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
"they are much more abundant (which means cheaper) on the used market."

So are used cars, but a used car with a rebuilt engine is never going to be as reliable as new because of the rest of the old components.

Every car I have bought has been used. Not bought one yet with a rebuilt motor. Have bought one with replacement motor. Just saying this to show that not everything used is abused and worn out.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Every car I have bought has been used. Not bought one yet with a rebuilt motor. Have bought one with replacement motor. Just saying this to show that not everything used is abused and worn out.
In Feb, my wife bought a new car. I realized that is the first new vehical that me or my wife ever bought. (We arnt spring chickens) I've had cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, golf carts and even helicopters. (All used) My current truck is a 1990 Ford Bronco. I bought it with a rebuilt motor and trans about twelve years ago. I just replaced the trans. (I've got about 300,000 on it)

PS the new "high end" car is giving us trouble. But it's ok, we have a 1974 VW Beetle for a "back up" car. (Runs perfect)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
In Feb, my wife bought a new car. I realized that is the first new vehical that me or my wife ever bought. (We arnt spring chickens) I've had cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, golf carts and even helicopters. (All used) My current truck is a 1990 Ford Bronco. I bought it with a rebuilt motor and trans about twelve years ago. I just replaced the trans. (I've got about 300,000 on it)

PS the new "high end" car is giving us trouble. But it's ok, we have a 1974 VW Beetle for a "back up" car. (Runs perfect)

Boat guy here too. Had 4 of them in my life. Chainsaw guy too think I have like 8 right now and at lest bought and sold at least that many in the last 3 years or so...only one of my saws I use now was new rest were used.

Hellrich I have a 1990 ranger. It has 310,000 on it. Original motor and trans as far as I know as well. I have had it since 155,000 and that was over 13 years ago.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO