lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie Here: Wires Melting, Sparks - Cart is Dead - Need Help

Hi Everyone, I need some help....

I have a 1989 EZGO 36V cart. It's been working great and the kids have been having a blast on it.

My son and I were driving and the cart and all of a sudden it just started loosing all power and died. After it sat for a few minutes it started to go again. The batteries were charged.

The last few days I noticed a burning smell on occasion after the cart had been driven.

A wire coming off the solenoid (I think that's what it is) was very hot and the insulation was starting to melt. I replaced the wire and this time another wire actually melted into the new wire, sparks flew and now my cart is completely dead.

Can someone please give me an idea as to what I did and what I need to do to get up and running again?

I have attached a picture so you could see the wires in question and where they are attached.

Thanks Guys!!!!!

P.S. I used a diagram I found here to add a set of lights and it worked perfectly! Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0117.jpg (86.8 KB, 48 views)
billmcewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Newbie Here: Wires Melting, Sparks - Cart is Dead - Need Help

Hey Bill, Not sure about the small wire but the large wire that is getting hot and melting looks to be a $2.00 cable from an autoparts store for a Ford. It will hold it's own on a car but not really made for continous duty use due to the low strand count and the poor crimp on ends.
Need to follow the whole circuit on the small wire to find the short. Where does it go?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Hey Bill, Not sure about the small wire but the large wire that is getting hot and melting looks to be a $2.00 cable from an autoparts store for a Ford. It will hold it's own on a car but not really made for continous duty use due to the low strand count and the poor crimp on ends.
Need to follow the whole circuit on the small wire to find the short. Where does it go?
Hey Crash, thanks for your reply. You're right, $5.00 cable...Do I have to use "stranded cable"? Can solid wire be used?

The small wire goes to the back of the unit in the picture. I am sorry I don't know what it is called. I have taken some additional pictures and labeled where the small wire goes. I think these may help.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0118.jpg (84.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0119.jpg (69.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0121.jpg (76.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Is this a resistor or controller cart?

Upon closer inspection of your pictures, it looks like a resistor cart.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Is this a resistor or controller cart?
I believe it is a resistor? Large "coil" in the rear of cart underneath near rear wheel area. Sorry for my ignorance, never had a cart before.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Bill, no problem you are doing good, I can not help on elec carts but it is nice to see someone put up information other than it quit. why? these guys will get you going.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Doomsman. I was trying to give as much info. as I could....I know someone in here will help me figure out what is wrong. Great bunch of guys here!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

It looks like your wiring is not factory.

A pic of the battery bay would be helpful. Also a pic of the accelerator switch (has the solenoid mounted to it) would be helpful as well.

You may want to download/print a wiring diagram and start the task of tracing and verifying all of the control wiring connections.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Bill go to the top of ezgo section and look under basic wiring diagrams you will find some drawings there. A ton of good stuff under stickys.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
billmcewen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
It looks like your wiring is not factory.

A pic of the battery bay would be helpful. Also a pic of the accelerator switch (has the solenoid mounted to it) would be helpful as well.

You may want to download/print a wiring diagram and start the task of tracing and verifying all of the control wiring connections.
PG, maybe these pictures will help. Thanks for your input. It would not surprise me if it is not factory wiring. The cart was used at an apartment complex. My neighbor got it from them and went to replace the brakes and the brakes that are supposed to go on this 1989 cart did not work. It appears the rear end has been changed out to a different year...

Thanks again for your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0122.jpg (85.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0123.jpg (82.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0124.jpg (87.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0125.jpg (46.8 KB, 29 views)

Tags
burning smell, cart dead, melted wires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO