lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Best Value Controller?

Hello all!

I'd like to upgrade my old 36V single-solenoid V-Glide resistor cart to a solid-state controller. I have #4awg cable and lugs to upgrade the wiring at the same time. I already put in a brand new set of Trojan T-105's. In hindsight I should've gone 48V but I'm past that option now. The motor is a factory Series-style 36V motor. I'm open to having it rebuilt but I don't want to buy a new motor.

Primarily I'm looking for enough torque to carry 500-600 pounds of passengers through the woods. The trails are well-maintained but there are some long hills that the cart can't currently make it up. Top speed isn't a real concern, I'd be happy with 18-20mph on flat land. My biggest disappointment is just the inability to climb certain hills, and slowing down to 5-7mph on the hills that it can climb.

I don't plan on getting crazy with this, and I'd rather not get into programmable controllers. What I'd really like to do is just match the performance of my buddy's 36V EZGO with a stock 175A controller. His cart's capabilities make me look like a fool!

I'm thinking a 200-300 amp controller, potentiometer, and pedal linkage is all I need for the conversion. Maybe an upgraded solenoid? I can't find any info on what size my factory solenoid is.

So what would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I do plan on PM'ing the Carts Unlimited fellow when I have enough posts to use that feature.
IronGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best Value Controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGypsy View Post
Hello all!

I'd like to upgrade my old 36V single-solenoid V-Glide resistor cart to a solid-state controller. I have #4awg cable and lugs to upgrade the wiring at the same time. I already put in a brand new set of Trojan T-105's. In hindsight I should've gone 48V but I'm past that option now. The motor is a factory Series-style 36V motor. I'm open to having it rebuilt but I don't want to buy a new motor.

Primarily I'm looking for enough torque to carry 500-600 pounds of passengers through the woods. The trails are well-maintained but there are some long hills that the cart can't currently make it up. Top speed isn't a real concern, I'd be happy with 18-20mph on flat land. My biggest disappointment is just the inability to climb certain hills, and slowing down to 5-7mph on the hills that it can climb.

I don't plan on getting crazy with this, and I'd rather not get into programmable controllers. What I'd really like to do is just match the performance of my buddy's 36V EZGO with a stock 175A controller. His cart's capabilities make me look like a fool!

I'm thinking a 200-300 amp controller, potentiometer, and pedal linkage is all I need for the conversion. Maybe an upgraded solenoid? I can't find any info on what size my factory solenoid is.

So what would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I do plan on PM'ing the Carts Unlimited fellow when I have enough posts to use that feature.
You can email me at scottyb@cartsunlimited.net. I'll be happy to provide you with the information you need.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Having converted a 1993 DS to a hunting cart with flip down seat and using it as you do - here is what I recommend, but I caution, I am not an expert, just someone who has done this through trial and error:

(1) It is not too late to go to 48 volts. if the batteries are still new, go buy two more 6 volts and put then in the bagwell. If you don't want to do that, get a solenoid and controller that will handle 48 if you want to upgrade later.

(2) If you don't want a programmable controller, go with something simple like Scotty B's FSIP/GE controller 500 amps. I will say that the benefit to the Alltrax though, or at least for me, would have been that more shops seem to sell them, so if you do need service on one, they can hook a computer up to it rather easily. I went with the 700 amp for just a few more bucks, and I'm glad I did.

(3) For the uses you are talking about, you will eventually need to replace your motor. In fact, if you need to rebuild it now, I wouldn't even do that. I'd send the core in (that will save you some money assuming the core is OK) to someone like Plum Quick and get a torque, not a speed motor. I have one of their torque motors and it climbs everything. Max speed is about 15-17 mph, but it has some serious torque.

(4) go ahead and get the heavy duty forward and reverse and large solenoid.

(5) I don't recommend tires larger than 22".

I don't understand how a stock EZGO can carry 5-600 lbs and handle hills any better than a stock Club Car, but maybe his isn't all stock? Or he isn't carrying a load, or doesn't have it lifted? Don't know.

Again, not an expert, so I'd definitely consult with one of them. Keep in mind that if you do put batteries in the bagwell, that will put some strain on a stock motor with the extra weight.

In any event, u
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Scotty, I sent you an e-mail!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Vinny knows what he's talking about here - he's got my kit
Old 11-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
Having converted a 1993 DS to a hunting cart with flip down seat and using it as you do - here is what I recommend
Thanks a bunch for the recommendation! To answer a few of your points...

I currently have a deep-cycle 12V battery in the bagwell under the rear flip seat to run all of the lights. I suppose I could consider losing that to make the cart a 48V, but I'd like to see how well I can do with 36V first.

That's a good thought on having a programmable controller for maintenance/repair reasons, I just don't want to get involved in "messing with it" all the time.

The cart already has a lift kit and 23" tires. Do you think it's worth downsizing to 21", or just leave it how it already is?

We did a side-by-side comparison between our two carts, with the same new batteries installed. It really was no comparison at all. He has a smaller lift and 21" tires, and he has a "speed chip" installed on his cart, but it's the factory controller and motor. His runs 22mph and climbs almost any hill. Mine runs 15mph, slows to 5-8mph on most mild hills, and won't touch the bigger hills. In fact it won't even drive up the ramps into the bed of my truck. It has to be pushed.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

the advice these guys gave is awesome, i would get rid of that 12v in the bagwell, get a voltage reducer. they are about the size of a pack of cigs, upto the size of 2 packs of cigs depending on the amps you need.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sometimes the advice here gets misunderstood. If you run 48v though the resistor coil system the cart will have a melt down. You are trying to compare a series and sepex drive cart side by side... they are 2 different animals. As I said in the email the best thing you can do to improve performance is down size the tires to 18-20" in my opinion
Old 11-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Whether I'd ditch the 12 volt battery depends on what you are running of it. If it's just head lights and a cig lighter 12 v source, then I would ditch it and go 48volt.

As for the controller, both Alltrax and GE/FSIP are good brands, so I leave that up to you. I will say that Scotty responds to emails extremely well, so if you do need help with your GE, he can do it, even long distance.

If you aren't going to go big on the controller, solenoid, and heavy duty F&R, and possibly on the motor, then you really need to downsize the tires, in my opinion. Scotty's the expert and he's saying the same thing. Tires make a bigger difference than you think. That said, tires are expensive too. Why not save the $$ for tires and get a really good layout?

With what you want to do, I think you need a minimum 4-500 amp controller, plus a matching solenoid, plus a heavy duty F&R switch. I got by in a hunting cart with this set up for a couple of years (I had my 700 amp turned down to about 500) until my motor wore out, and then I went to a torque motor. If you stay with the stock motor, spend $15 and get an infrared thermometer to monitor your motor temp. If it gets too hot, don't operate it.

After some bumps along the way (many self-induced), I am very happy with what I have. It is as follows:

1993 Club Car DS (originally 36 volts)
700AMP FSIP/GE controller
400 amp solenoid
Heavy duty F & R switch
48V - eight six volts Trojan 105's - two in the bagwell.
Plum Quick torque motor
4" A-arm lift kit
22" tires
Madjax Rear flip seat

The conversion kit came from Scotty. Only think I am dissatisfied with is the madjax flip seat, but that's neither here nor there for this conversation.

I would think that even a 36 volt would go up the ramps on a truck. Maybe something else is wrong.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
IronGypsy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks all, I hope to put something on order Monday... so I'll be thinking about this over the weekend!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car