lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
z71georgiaman
Getting Wild

Default 48 volts,,,but can I have more ???

When I built this 6 yrs ago,I went with 6 volt batteries to get 48 volts,2 in the bag well.I went with the High Torque D&D motor,Alltrax axe4855 controller.My battery change this past summer,I went with 8 volt batteries this time.But I have noticed a lot less run time between charges.If I put 2 more 8volt batts in bag well,what will be required to do this.Will the motor take bumping up to 64 volts? Will this give me more run time,I know it will give me more power.Im fine with the power I have at 48 volts,just want more run time.This is a hunting buggy.
z71georgiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 48 volts,,,but can I have more ???

lol I have no idea but something about putting 64 volts into it doesn't sound like a good idea Your motor and controller may be upgraded but I don't know if it can handle it
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Alltrax Axe is all done at 60 or 62v, max limit (I forget which). A 64v pack is going to be higher than 64 at full charge (64.0 is around 50% charge) . Not gonna work.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You want more amp hours if you need more range. 8 x 6 volts will do that but it's heavy and you already bought new batteries. I would stick with 48V.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Using higher voltage is possible with a higher voltage Alltrax Axe. I bought some electric car grade 72 volt Alltrax Axe controllers for inventory years ago. I switched to working with mainly Curtis AC drive controllers since then so I never used those Alltrax Axe controllers. One nice advantage with Alltrax controllers is they are so easy to configure with a PC or laptop via the serial port. The most important thing to consider here is how well will your D&D motor handle the higher wattage that you would be capable of delivering to it. If you drive at the same speed, the increase in range would be there. However, if you push it harder (since you are able to), you might burn through the extra energy faster

I don't sell stuff anymore, but if you are interested, I could work out a trade with you.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

To run a 64V battery pack, you'll have to replace the controller and solenoid, or do some creative wiring so the existing solenoid continues to run at 48V. The motor will probably be happy at 64V, but verify with D&D.
But, finding a 64V charger might be challenging as would finding an 8V or a 16V charger to charge the two added batteries separately.

The Alltrax website indicates they have versions of the AXE, SPM and SR controllers that work with battery packs up to 72V. Go with the SR, it is the latest technology.

In a nutshell, adding two 8V batteries the same make and model as the six existing ones, will increase whatever the current run-time is by about 1/3.

If your goal is to get about the same run-time as you had with a 8x6V 48V pack, first you have to calculate the Watt-Hours stored in the 48V pack and then calculate what the Watt-Hours in the proposed 64V pack is. The greater the Watt-Hours, the greater the run-time.

For example, if the 48V pack was made up from T-105 batteries (6V-225AH) it stored 10,800Wh. If the proposed 64V pack will be made up from T-875 batteries (8V-170AH), you will have 10,880Wh. So the run-time will be roughly the same as it was with the 48V pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

If you actually plan on increasing voltage you might as well go to 72 volts, its easier to get chargers controllers and contactors for.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO