lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: V-glide Troubleshooting

OK, making a little progress. The resistors in the v-glide check out. However that last component in the resistor chain looks like a diode but not marked well - has zero resistance in both directions, in which case it isn't behaving like a diode should. Can anyone confirm this is a diode, and perhaps what the specs are supposed to be on it? I'll try replacing it with something.

(PS - if it is a diode, I'm trying to sort out what it's supposed to be doing because it only operates when the "gas pedal" is off, perhaps grounding any stray voltage transient?).

So NoleFan - where in FL are you? I'm in Citrus County.
chadster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There should be six (6) resistors and they start on the 3rd lug from the bottom. No resistors on the first two (2) lugs.

Post a pic of yours....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

I'm with you on SIX resistors, but also notice the small component between the last two posts on the left. Looks like a diode but zero resistance each way. I also put 12v across these - zero voltage drop across the last two. You don't have that on yours?
It almost seems to serve no purpose - the purple wire goes to the 7th post, the 8th post only comes into play with the accelerator fully off.

PS - I took the microswitch out and opened it up - looks really clean, and clicks nicely, so hard to image it's a problem. The contacts are NC - normally closed, except when the accelerator is off; for this to fail it would have to open contact, is it possible heat would do that? For $5 I can get a new one, might as well try it.
Thanks for your insights on this.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Sounds like the MS is working.

Here is a variable speed potentiometer of one of mine from last weekend. If you look closely, I had a broken resistor (2nd one from the bottom)

Varible Speed Potentiometer.jpg
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

I thought I posted my vglide pic last night, but don't see it. here it is again.

As you can see I have something (I believe it's a diode) between posts 7 and 8, unlike your photo. But I don't think this has any effect on full-power running
I did check all of my resistors, they're good - total resistance is 5.57kohm, which adds up. Everything is nice and clean.

New question - what do you know about adjusting the tension on the wiper arm? Is it possible this is letting go, or bouncing off the brush pads enough to interrupt the controller?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vglide Resistors.jpg (185.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

A tan with a black stripe is usually used as a wire link or as a jumper which should measure 0 ohms or good as. Not sure what it is being used for in your particular set-up.

The wiper arm is usually adjusted with its nut to pull it down and the spring tension in the arm does the rest to keep it on the pads. It should not be bouncing off the way they are set up.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

You're absolutely right about that being a zero-ohm resistor - just confirmed it with wikipedia. I confess with my years of tinkering with electronics this is a new one for me...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-ohm_link
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the private reply:
"They do not make the controller anymore as I mentioned. Alltrax is working on their release now. You are only talking ~$415 or so and a TON more power, speed and controlability.

Something appears to be heating up and dropping out, and it sure could be the controller, but it could be something else. You need to carry around your DVM and as soon as it does it, see where you do not have current... (Solenoid, controller output (M-), V-glide, etc.)"
I am rigging up a little breadboard LED test panel to see what's dropping out, so I'll take your suggestions...

Any guess on when Alltrax controller will be available?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster33 View Post
Any guess on when Alltrax controller will be available?
It is in testing as of this week according to David Hicks (TahoeDawgZ71) as they had to get a sponsor with a Regen 2 cart to try it out.

If you call or email David (Revolution Golf Cars) he can maybe tell you a ball park or Alltrax may,,,,
Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #20
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster33 View Post
You're absolutely right about that being a zero-ohm resistor - just confirmed it with wikipedia.
WTH! You doubted me?!?!

I don't blame you, I don't trust me half the time and the other half I don't know me...

Tags
v-glide
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car