lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: V-glide Troubleshooting

Not that I didn't trust you - you're AMAZING (and I'm a suck-up).
I was just stunned by this new bit of information.

Read next post - did some troubleshooting today. (way too much time on my hands)
chadster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #22
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

OK - rather than ride around with voltmeter I rigged 5 test points with some LEDs. What I've learned...(see schematic - also evidence I have too much time on my hands, but I got tired of the spaghetti drawing provided in the manual)
1. Test Points 1,2,3 all good - meaning I have power to the F/R switch and Vglide microswitch and they behave well even during the failure. (I was hoping this would be the easy fix).

2. TP4 - the YELLOW cable from the solenoid to the controller - on the whole time, seemed slightly dimmed while the motor is running.

3. TP5 - WHITE cable from the controller to the motor solenoid. On SOLID before running, starts flickering while the motor is running. I think this may be expected as the motor is essentially switching...(?). However when the cart stalls, the LED goes full SOLID again.

So I can now SEE the failure, but I need to rearrange my test points to isolate what's causing it. I could still hope it's a solenoid dropping out but I thought I had ruled this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schematic.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #23
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I would have one hooked up to the white cable "after" the left solenoid and see if it is dropping out while going to the motor, and then you will know for sure.

And that power supply blinking I don't believe is correct as we are talking Direct Current, but Sergio or one of the others may have a better explanation for it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #24
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

BTW- Have you opened up the motor and inspected the brushes.... ?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #25
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

Point taken on testing both sides of the motor solenoid (WHITE), also the control leads to that solenoid (are they losing power or is the solenoid failing open mechanically?).

No - haven't inspected the motor brushes, seems like a scary propositiion - is there an inspection port?
Would worn brushes explain this apparent overheating behavior?

I've been assuming the smaller wires to the motor are exciter current. These should be checked.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #26
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

SOLENOID question -
I see most OEM replacements costing about $60 but there are some "universal" 48v solenoids for $15-20. Have you any advice? $20 to help troubleshooting seems worth it.

See this example - https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Sole...SKYAGZ92FA0KKE
Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #27
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster33 View Post
SOLENOID question -
I see most OEM replacements costing about $60 but there are some "universal" 48v solenoids for $15-20. Have you any advice? $20 to help troubleshooting seems worth it.

See this example - https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Sole...SKYAGZ92FA0KKE
I didn't get to look at the link, but I will always say to stick with one of the site sponsors here as they will normally back what they sell and you get the customer support you need.

Here are some: https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/solenoids and you can call David Hicks (TahoeDawgZ71) as he welcomes calls and delivers unprecedented support.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #28
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadster33 View Post
Point taken on testing both sides of the motor solenoid (WHITE), also the control leads to that solenoid (are they losing power or is the solenoid failing open mechanically?).On the main solenoid, there should be no fluctuation, it should have its 48v + & - anytime you depress the Go Pedal with the key on and rocker switch in Fwd or Rev. On the 2nd solenoid, the resistance coil comes into effect (I believe) for dynamic braking. I remember Sergio telling me one time and if he sees this he will confirm for us.

No - haven't inspected the motor brushes, seems like a scary propositiion - is there an inspection port? If we don't pinpoint something definitive, it may be worth it (you have to remove the motor to do it)

I've been assuming the smaller wires to the motor are exciter current. These should be checked. Those are your Field wires for Fwd and Rev. The high amp switching is handled by the controller as opposed to a lever mechanism as was in Series carts
Comments above
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #29
chadster33
Not Yet Wild

This morning's update:
Changed the Test points around, refer to Version B of the schematic.

1. Concerned about the right solenoid - shows a 2.0 volt drop across the red-to-yellow main terminals when closed - in "RUN" mode (the left solenoid has 0 volt drop when closed). I'd replace this, however it doesn't seem related to the failure.

2. Left solenoid - operated correctly, brown lead went low during driving, stayed low during failure. Power seems seems to have been constant as both TP3, TP5 were solid ON.

Now need to look at the motor FIELD power.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #30
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If I recall earlier, you verified the throttle signal coming into the controller. Lets see what is going to the motor from the controller. Take your DVM and check the voltage between the A2 terminal and the A1 terminal on the motor. Going off memory, but you should see like ~5vdc with pedal up and proportionally going to 48vdc (or pack voltage) as you depress to full throttle.

Tags
v-glide
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car