lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 Series obc by pass interlock

Since I have not done it that way, I do not want to guess and tell you wrong. I would get Sergio (resident expert) and let him guide you.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Since I have not done it that way, I do not want to guess and tell you wrong. I would get Sergio (resident expert) and let him guide you.....
Agree, standing by.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #13
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The diode shown in picture #3 is in backwards. It would never conduct. Leave that one out. Just connect the one across the coil.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #14
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
The diode shown in picture #3 is in backwards. It would never conduct. Leave that one out. Just connect the one across the coil.
So solder the diode between the 48v positive wire and the negative wire before they connect to the relay? Remember I know nothing about diodes and resistors and where or how to use them. It just seems like if the current was going to flow through the coil it would just go around the diode? I know, I should go to an electronics forum.....or back to school
Old 06-11-2018, 06:07 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That diode (Fly-back) on the relay coil is there to protect the device/switch that is turning the relay coil power OFF from being damaged by the electric arc caused by the relay coil collapsing magnetic field.

This picture shows how I usually solder that diode on my relays wiring, but you can also crimp the diode with the wire in each 3/16" quick terminals.

Just make sure the diode side with a "band" is towards the positive wire.

The idea for that interlock is that the regular key switch power goes through the N.C. contacts of the relay, so when the relay is OFF the cart works normally.

When the charger cord is plugged to the cart, it provides the negative side for the relay coil.

If You try to turn the key ON while the charger cord is plugged in, You now have both the positive and the negative activation wires the relay needs to activate and it turns ON, which cuts the power to the cart as the N.C contacts open.

It is an industry best practice that when using just one side of a SPDT switch or relay like we are doing, that the power input comes through the N.C. terminal and the output goes out of the COM terminal.

Run the positive wire from the key switch (Blue wire) to both the relay coil (3/16") and to the N.C. terminal (1/4").

Run the COM terminal (1/4") to Blue wire that goes into the cart harness.

Connect the gray terminal to the other relay coil terminal (they are not polarized so it makes no difference which 3/16" coil terminal is positive or negative).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sergio that's what I needed, thanks so much. Ordering Diode and relay today.
Thank you Walter and Nole too, I appreciate all your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car