lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Extra 12v bat for winch ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
My 2,500 Harbor freight winch came with a 50 amp fuse.
50 amps may be fine. I was just looking at the current 2,500 "Badland" winch they offer. This version does have an inline circuit breaker, but they don't state what the amp rating is. On this particular winch they say for 1,000 lbs load it'll need 55 amps. For pulling up a 45 degree set of ramps I doubt any cart would require a thousand pounds of force.

What gauge wire was sent with your kit? I looked at the amp/wire capacity chart again and what I saw was for 'continuous' use, so a lighter gauge may be OK for a winch???

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...1999/61840.pdf
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

A lighter gauge wire will be OK for intermittent use, but we'd have to know length between battery and winch, AND how long it will run at max amps, AND how long will it rest between uses, AND what is the maximum ambient temperature, AND what type wire insulation is proposed, AND will this be separate conductors unconfined or a cable in a conduit (wire loom), AND...

To quote JohnnyB, "overkill is underrated".
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
50 amps may be fine. I was just looking at the current 2,500 "Badland" winch they offer. This version does have an inline circuit breaker, but they don't state what the amp rating is. On this particular winch they say for 1,000 lbs load it'll need 55 amps. For pulling up a 45 degree set of ramps I doubt any cart would require a thousand pounds of force.

What gauge wire was sent with your kit? I looked at the amp/wire capacity chart again and what I saw was for 'continuous' use, so a lighter gauge may be OK for a winch???

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...1999/61840.pdf
Yes, it came with an 50 amp inline breaker, not fuse. The winch came with 10 gauge wire. I extended the + and - wires that went to the winch from the solenoid. I mounted the solenoid under the seat, so figure maybe I added 2 feet of extra wire. Total run from the solenoid to the winch can't be any more than 2.5 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5274.jpg (57.5 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
coosa
Gone Wild

I am no pro, and everyone says to not do it, but I just run my winches off 2 of the batteries in the battery pack. I've been doing this for several years and haven't had any problem with it. But I use the winches about 4 or 5 times a year and usually need it for just a few seconds. I check the voltage of each battery when I check the water level, and I can't tell that the 2 batteries that operate the winch have been any lower than the others. I do run the 24 volt lights off the other 4 batteries, so maybe that helps. I did recently have to replace one of the battery packs, but it was 8 yrs old.

Take this info with a grain of salt as I may be ruining 2 battery packs.

I'm wondering why your cart needs to be winched into the truck? Even my old resistor cart would climb into the truck; maybe longer ramps would be a better option? Good luck with it whatever you do.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #15
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The wire that came with the $38 harbor freight balands 2500lb winch reaches the back of the cart, and came with it's own circuit breaker. I got it bc of price, usefulness, ease of install, good reviews, plus a new one will be a cheap swap if it goes bad. It says 3.5 amps but I knew that was wrong as I mentioned.

I brought up the amps bc it's too much for a reducer. If I did add more wire I would use 4guage jumper cables which are $39 at advanced Auto for 20' which comes out to $1/ft for the 40' of wire. They are actually real copper, and thick enough inside to be close to 4g. I found out about them on some other forum (they are the black and white ones). I used it on my truck winch and it has lasted years and works well with the ends smothered in dialetric grease. Also a 50 or 60 amp circuit breaker made by blue seas for windlasses is a better solution than a fuse.

I have two come-a-longs, as I mentioned I got tired of doing that, thus the winch.

I could also get longer ramps yes, but I would need 10' or longer, and I am not interested in spending that kind of money on ramps, vs a more useful tool on our property like a $38 winch. My truck is not lifted but my 2500 and the 35s make it pretty high due to the rake of the back for towing. Its about 45 degrees and required me to lift the golf cart which I did for less than $60 and made a thread about it. I use tractor supply 8' ramps with a come along currently.

So, I was asking about 12v battery specifics. Longevity, charging, etc that others have experience? I have seen the 12v battery in carts under the back seat and figured people could advise me.

Is it better to wait and charge the battery at home at high amps if I'm within half a days travel? Or perhaps use the trucks' 7 pin connector and create a wire from the 12v that ultimately is from the alternator, to charge the battery, like it would on a dump trailer? I have a diesel with 180amp alt and two batteries under the hood oem.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I have two Warn winches on my cart....front 'n rear. I have those wired to a 12-V Marine battery. When I take my cart it gets winched on and off the truck bed with the cart's front winch. I've used the front winch at least two dozen times.....along with using my 20" LED light bar when driving out of the woods at night. After that use I charge the marine battery with a quality charger and when I initially turn on the charger I've never been lower than 75% of charge as indicated by the battery charger.

Use a decent quality marine battery and you won't have any issues.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:05 PM   #17
Stewbuntu
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I have two Warn winches on my cart....front 'n rear. I have those wired to a 12-V Marine battery. When I take my cart it gets winched on and off the truck bed with the cart's front winch. I've used the front winch at least two dozen times.....along with using my 20" LED light bar when driving out of the woods at night. After that use I charge the marine battery with a quality charger and when I initially turn on the charger I've never been lower than 75% of charge as indicated by the battery charger.

Use a decent quality marine battery and you won't have any issues.

Dave
Awesome, thanks!

I too also switched to LED lights, love them

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Stewbuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #18
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Stewbuntu, take a peek at my thread (57 Chevy Body on DS) in the Design Center. It shows how I need only one charger for the pack and accessory battery.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just throwing this against the wall to see if it sticks. Was just doing a search and found out Warn makes a 48v winch for electric atvs. Any reason to not put one in a 48v cart and draw right off the pack? No extra batt to dick around with, smaller wiring, and be able to use a reducer for other functions. Also, no worrying if there is enough juice for a long pull, [or 2 or 3]
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Just throwing this against the wall to see if it sticks. Was just doing a search and found out Warn makes a 48v winch for electric atvs. Any reason to not put one in a 48v cart and draw right off the pack? No extra batt to dick around with, smaller wiring, and be able to use a reducer for other functions. Also, no worrying if there is enough juice for a long pull, [or 2 or 3]
I'm pretty sure they were developed for the 48v Polaris Rangers. I mentioned the 48v warn in another thread, I personally don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't think a winch would draw near what the carts do under load, but I am nowhere near a electrical guru.

These are the specs for the Viper 5000 I have on my 4 seat RZR:
Specs
- Cable - 40 feet x 1/4" BLACK Synthetic Rope
- Motor - 12V DC, Sealed 1.95HP permanent magnet
- Rated Line Pull - 5,000lbs (2267.96 kgs)
- Line Speed - 0 lbs - 31 Amps motor draw / 26 FPM (7.92MPM)
- Line Speed - 5,000lbs - 330 Amps motor draw / 2 FPM (.61 MPM)
- Gearing / Gear Ratio - 3-Stage planetary/136:1
- Brake - Automatic, 100% load holding
- Clutch - Cam Activated
- Mounting Bolt Pattern - 3.0 inch x 4.875 inch (76mm x 123.83mm)
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO