lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #11
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Re: Onboard 12v charging possibilities

A battery tender is so easy and small you could just mount it onboard and simply plug in to charge your 12v. I keep mine outside and just hook up the connector but I could move it onboard. You would have 2 AC plugs to plug into the wall but it’s a much simpler solution
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have mine plug into the "cigarette lighter" power port. It's the only accessory that's on, even with the key switch off. I tied the two cables together, so I just drag them both to the cart to charge. It also serves to remind me to unplug before driving, as it's more noticeable than just the charger plug alone.

I'm sure an onboard charger would work, but I'd still charge from 120 vac, rather than 36 or 48 vdc.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed my 12 volt rechargeable flashlight is also always on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1540.jpg (244.4 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

As Sigfla45 said, the battery tender is small, it also comes with a pigtail that goes on the battery terminals so you can just plug the power cord right into it. It makes it easy, because the pigtail is always on the battery. I ran a battery disconnect switch so I can shut off the power to my fuse panel and my winch and 12 volt outlet are wired directly to the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery tender.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg battery disconnect.jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg battery disconnect 1.jpg (65.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5282.jpg (61.8 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I hardwired mine from power port, through Blue Sea fuse panel, to battery. All of my fuses are 20 amp. I consider anything that draws (or pushes) more than 20 amps to be dead, and the fuses just protect the cart/battery/wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2312.jpg (134.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
As Sigfla45 said, the battery tender is small, it also comes with a pigtail that goes on the battery terminals so you can just plug the power cord right into it. It makes it easy, because the pigtail is always on the battery. I ran a battery disconnect switch so I can shut off the power to my fuse panel and my winch and 12 volt outlet are wired directly to the battery.
I like your hidden power port. I gotta do a wrap, some day. I've been putting it off, as I have literally over a dozen of wires in each front upright. Dome light, radio power, radio aux in, tail light, siren, and four high voltage wig-wag wires (inside a cable).
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I hardwired mine from power port, through Blue Sea fuse panel, to battery. All of my fuses are 20 amp. I consider anything that draws (or pushes) more than 20 amps to be dead, and the fuses just protect the cart/battery/wires.
I used the Blue sea fuse panel also, but I ran 15 amp fuses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuse panel 2.jpg (85.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse panel.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You were smart and used blade fuses. I used glass, as I have a coffee can full of them. I mounted it on my reducer support, until I blew it up. I now have a 12 volt battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2307.jpg (172.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2312.jpg (134.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #18
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
You were smart and used blade fuses. I used glass, as I have a coffee can full of them. I mounted it on my reducer support, until I blew it up. I now have a 12 volt battery.
I had club points from Cabelas and that's what they had, blade fuse panel. Glass fuses, same crap and especially since you had a bunch, I would have done the same thing, use what you got. Thanks for the compliment about the 12 volt accessory plug, just thought it would keep it out of the elements in there.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Whenever possible, I buy mil spec stuff from eBay, or buy from West Marine, as boating stuff doesn't rely on frame negative ground, like a car does, and they are corrosion and water resistant. Most of my spade connectors have a good water resistant adhesive heat shrink built in. I need to install new battery charger ring terminals I bought there. Just haven't gotten around to it. I recently posted and got good advice on how to clean up corroded stranded cables. The extra steps have got me procrastinating.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #20
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Quote:
I have mine plug into the "cigarette lighter" power port. It's the only accessory that's on, even with the key switch off. I tied the two cables together, so I just drag them both to the cart to charge. It also serves to remind me to unplug before driving, as it's more noticeable than just the charger plug alone.

I'm sure an onboard charger would work, but I'd still charge from 120 vac, rather than 36 or 48 vdc.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed my 12 volt rechargeable flashlight is also always on.
I like the cable tie up idea. I am always having close calls with my AC charger cables
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO