lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 club car ds is running slow and dying fast.

Hello, i have a 99 club car ds, 48v. It was once a fast cart. Now it travels slow and dies within 2 hours. I have load tested the batteries,all were good. SG was good as well. All cables were checked and in good shape. And i am lost as to where to go from here

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
stonewolf2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 99 club car ds is running slow and dying fast.

From what I have seen on here, 99% of the time it ends up being batteries. Seen a lot of threads with all kinds of trouble shooting and almost always ends up being batteries. That or bad/loose connections.

How old are your batteries, is the water at proper height, what do each individual battery test out on the volts?

Some more experienced folks will be along shortly to help with trouble shooting, but they will want to know that information right off.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Definitely sounds like batteries. What is the pack voltage at the time you feel it dying? 50.93 if fully charged....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think the question most of us have would be: how did you load test the batteries? I agree with the rest that it sounds like a battery issue. If you look through enough of the battery related threads you find write-ups of hooking up a volt meter and taking readings ad you drive. By far the best way to get real world info.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Your batteries are failing. Their capacity is lost due to age, or there could have been some misuse or neglect in the past which has caused them to lose capacity.

When the capacity drops, you get lower output voltage when under load, and shorter run time. Checking voltage a rest may show the pack sitting at the correct voltage, it may even be slightly above, but that will quickly drop once the cart is actually in use, and it will not rebound back to that voltage when you stop.

"Load testing" with a typical carbon pile tester really doesn't tell you much in this case. You need to check the voltage of the entire pack while the cart is in operation. It will also help to check voltage of each battery individually.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
stonewolf2009
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the replies. When i get to the shop in morning i will set up and test while in operation.
As for load testing, I used a load tester that i have in the shop. I hooked it to each individual battery. Hit the load bottom. All read as good.

stonewolf2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Most likely that one is for CA or CCA and you wnat to load test for A-H (AmpHours) on these type batteries.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Most likely that one is for CA or CCA and you wnat to load test for A-H (AmpHours) on these type batteries.
My guess is that the load tester is designed for 12V batteries. Depending on which type it is, it could definetly give false readings. Check the whole pack, then each individual battery with a meter under load.
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Can you put a 400 amp load on battery?If not the load testor isn’t big enough.Have you use a hydrometer on batteries after it charged?
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewolf2009 View Post
Hello, i have a 99 club car ds, 48v. It was once a fast cart. Now it travels slow and dies within 2 hours. I have load tested the batteries,all were good. SG was good as well. All cables were checked and in good shape. And i am lost as to where to go from here

WAIT,,, is this cart a series cart?? If it is a regen 2 which they had in 99 you most likely have a bad solenoid on the drivers side. If the cart has a flip toggle FNR switch then the likely problem is the regen solenoid.

Look on the driver side in the back. There should be a solenoid with a coil on it. Take the larger cables off and put them both on the same post. Then unhook the speed sensor off the right side of the motor. Then hang on if it is what I'm thinking it will run good again.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car