lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
TXrxv2011dude
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2011 RXV only goes in reverse

I was driving my 2011 EZGO RXV cart and was coming to a stop when it made a strange lurch forward and I hurt a "pop" noise. I then tried to go forward, but all I could hear is the motor spinning and a fluttering noise like a baseball card on the spokes of a bike. I then tried to go in reverse, and it moved, but slowly and also made the fluttering noise. If I go up any incline in reverse, it won't do it. Anyone else experience this and know where I should look first to fix...motor brake or rear axle?
TXrxv2011dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2011 RXV only goes in reverse

Check wheel hubs. Jack up rear and "wobble" the wheels to check for looseness, there should be none, and you should not be able to spin either tire.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
TXrxv2011dude
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I jacked up the rear axle and neither tire would wobble. However, the driver side rear wheel spun easily by hand. The passenger side rear tire did not spin. Does this mean a bad axle shaft on driver side?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like the one side that spins needs a new hub.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
TXrxv2011dude
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took the rear driver side wheel and hub off of the cart, and the hub was fine. I have also noticed that when I do go in reverse or forward, and try to use the brake, there is now no motor brake. So, if the motor brake goes bad on an RXV, does it have built in override to disable Forward, and only provide limited Reverse? Any ideas out there on what is going wrong here?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sounds like a broken axle on the drivers side or part of carrier assembly bit the dust. Pull the axle and check it out.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
TXrxv2011dude
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I found out what the issue was. I bought my cart used and knew the rear axle had been refurbished, so I am not surprised what occurred. The driver side axle shaft "tube", or axle, had separated from the axle housing slightly. After wiping away dirt and grease, I saw about 1/4 inch of unpainted metal between the axle and housing being exposed, leading me to believe that the movement of the axle away from the housing allowed the axle shaft to lose contact with the differential.

The fix was done using a rubber mallet to tap on the axle to push it back into the axle housing. I first removed the driver side axle shaft to inspect the gears and found them intact. Then I tapped on the axle to push it back into the axle housing. I slid the axle shaft back into the axle, and immediately could tell that it was re-engaging with the differential. Put the hub and tire back on and there was no free spin any more. I then drove it and had full power with Forward and Reverse.

Thanks for the ideas. I hope this troubleshoot and fix will help others in the future.

TXrxv2011dude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV Rear axle.JPG (87.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO