lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default SR 48500 Question

I noticed when wiring up my new SR 48500, the black solenoid wire goes to J1 instead of B- like the old AXE. I assume this means the controller can prevent the solenoid from closing, or open it if something happens while driving?

Does it do a Power On Self Test (POST) before allowing solenoid to close? If so, what does it look at?

What conditions would cause it to open the solenoid while driving?

thanks
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: SR 48500 Question

It was explained to me as an emergency cut off feature. So if the motor was seeing a short circuit fault it would open the solenoid.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I was just curious.

I managed to pull one of the solenoid wires loose from the back of the small stud - one of the two that go to the coil. Too dark to fix. Once I re-solder it, I should be up and running.

My old AXE started intermittently giving me under temp alarms and refused to go. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't. After removing the AXE and cables, I found this. which may explain the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1581.jpg (271.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Without knowing what Ga that cable is, it is difficult to guesstimate what caliber the bullet is, but it's not distorted enough to be a .22, so it's .25 or above and fairly low power since it didn't go all the way through. Any holes in cart?

-------
There is a "Relay Status" column on a SR data log, and I don't know if it reports correctly if the solenoid's B- wire is connected directly to B- rather than going through the controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Without knowing what Ga that cable is, it is difficult to guesstimate what caliber the bullet is, but it's not distorted enough to be a .22, so it's .25 or above and fairly low power since it didn't go all the way through. Any holes in cart?

-------
There is a "Relay Status" column on a SR data log, and I don't know if it reports correctly if the solenoid's B- wire is connected directly to B- rather than going through the controller.
It 2 AWG, and if you zoom all the way in, you can see the copper slug still in there.

I still need to look for where the "bullet" came from. From the looks of it, I'd guess the motor pinched it against the frame.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Wow! That's interesting. Wonder what the story behind that is?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I think somehow, the motor pinched it against the frame, going over a big bump. It doesn't look like the insulation is worn away, but rather cut away. I need to look at the frame and see if I find a corresponding molten point. The copper inside is a BB sized glob.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

So the "bullet" is the results of the copper wire strands melting and forming a BB sized blob when it cooled.

Sure looks like a small caliber FMJ slug in the picture.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I thought you were just joking, so we prolly confused some folks, as I kinda went along.

Here's a closeup. Definitely hundreds of amps were involved, so I would like to see "the other guy".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glob.jpg (148.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO