lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries, ancient charger

I am new to the electric cart world myself and I am still learning. I have (2) different chargers. One is the Power Wise model 28115 G04; it is an automatic charger and has the old style 2 printed circuit board controllers. The other is an older model with 13212 1 embossed on the label. It was manufactured in 1985.

I am curious about a couple things on both chargers.

First off the Power Wise: is it a "smart charger" and would upgrading to a new board make any improvement in performance?

On the older charger, would integrating a control board into the system make it work like a Power Wise?
If I were to upgrade the board in the Power Wise, could I take the old boards from it and integrate them into the older charger to give it a better charging profile?
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The Powerwise 28115 is not a smart charger. It fits into the ferroresonant transformer type category, as do the ones I posted picture of in Post#-3 and most likely, so does the older one you have.

The actual battery charger in all of them consists of a ferroresonant transformer, a capacitor and two diodes. The ferroresonant transformer and capacitor are selected so that when the voltage of the battery pack the charger is connected to is below about 40V (for a 36V charger), the transformer core saturates and allows about 20A to flow through the battery pack. As the voltage of the battery pack being charged increases above about 40V, the transformer core saturates at a progressively lower amp flow rate until it is down in roughly the 5A to 8A range. Attachment-1 is the charge profile this type charger produces.

The earliest versions of this charger design was shut off by a mechanical timer, the next generation had a control board whose function was to turn the charger on when the battery pack it was connected top had about 30V or more and to shut it off when the on-charge voltage reached about 45V and the mechanical timer was retained as a safety backup to shut off charger if the on-charge voltage failed to reach about 45V within about 12 hours. The final generation of the ferroresonant transformer design had a control board with the same functions, but included the backup timer electronically and the mechanical timer was eliminated.

The control board is simply a voltage controlled On/Off switch and has no influence on the charging process other then turning the charger on and off.

You can add a control board to a early charger that doesn't have one, but it won't make it charge batteries any better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The Powerwise 28115 is not a smart charger. It fits into the ferroresonant transformer type category, as do the ones I posted picture of in Post#-3 and most likely, so does the older one you have.

The control board is simply a voltage controlled On/Off switch and has no influence on the charging process other then turning the charger on and off.

You can add a control board to a early charger that doesn't have one, but it won't make it charge batteries any better.
I really appreciate the detailed response; I like to learn as much as I can about the things in which I find an interest.

I knew both chargers were had a wound transformer, I didn't realize however that the two printed circuit boards were essentially a glorified power switch..

So it sounds like I should start thinking about a new charging system. And from the reading I've done on here, I should probably consider the 48v route. My current controller is capable of handling 48v. What are some good solid state chargers that won't break the bank?

Also, is there a thread on here which gives pointers on how to communicate this information to the wife in a convincing manner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
I really appreciate the detailed response; I like to learn as much as I can about the things in which I find an interest.

I knew both chargers were had a wound transformer, I didn't realize however that the two printed circuit boards were essentially a glorified power switch..

So it sounds like I should start thinking about a new charging system. And from the reading I've done on here, I should probably consider the 48v route. My current controller is capable of handling 48v. What are some good solid state chargers that won't break the bank?

Also, is there a thread on here which gives pointers on how to communicate this information to the wife in a convincing manner?

Bribery works. I spend money on stuff I like - even though she doesn't like the way I drive mine - and she gets to spend money on something she likes, even if she has to wait for the bank to recover.

Do y'all have kids? Can she drive kiddos to a pool or go shopping with it? You may need the 48 volts to get street legal? I'm thinking about speed may be an issue.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Bribery works. I spend money on stuff I like - even though she doesn't like the way I drive mine - and she gets to spend money on something she likes, even if she has to wait for the bank to recover.

Do y'all have kids? Can she drive kiddos to a pool or go shopping with it? You may need the 48 volts to get street legal? I'm thinking about speed may be an issue.
lol! I like the way you think. However, we live in the outskirts of a small town in North Florida; about 8 miles from town. Most of our carting is going to be on the property where we live. Through the woods, down to the creek, and taking tools and materials here and there.
We also go camping periodically, and I hope to be able to bring this cart along on some of the camping trips.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I just noticed you "hijacked" this thread. Generally not good manners, but you're new, so consider this your one and only freebie. Joking. I'm probably close to three digits of freebies.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #17
srhoward
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I just noticed you "hijacked" this thread. Generally not good manners, but you're new, so consider this your one and only freebie. Joking. I'm probably close to three digits of freebies.
Thanks yurtle I noticed that! LOL

I was just saying to my son that I was surprised nobody mentioned it! Haha
srhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO