lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Dragraceweekly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2005 TXT PDS, no movement, no click, controller failure likely

Hello all and thanks for having a forum like this available. Very new to the cart scene but have been an auto mechanic for some time now. Comfortable with all electricity aspects and diagnostics but this has been a slight learning curve. I have read and read many posts before doing this myself.

Cart is a 2005 EZ GO TXT PDS, 36v, purchased in unknown condition(but told "one" battery was bad. I have a new key switch, F/R switch, solenoid, 3 new batteries(3 old that hold ~5.9v), battery cables, and ~37v on the entire pack. Reed switch looks previously bypassed, original Curtis controller and motor present. I know I need 3 additional new batteries, but I'm at least trying to get this thing to move 2 inches before dumping more money.

Everything has been checked over to the best of my knowledge but I still have NO solenoid click at any time. Battery voltage is present at every point that needs it, I can supply a negative to the blue wire post on the solenoid and it will engage but the cart still doesn't respond to the pedal. I know the controller should supply this ground but it's not at any time. I'm assuming the controller has failed at this point. All wires have continuity from key switch, pedal microswitches, etc and seem fine from what I gather. I also have no reverse beep, and the controller will not go into diagnostic mode no matter how many times I try. I just about have the wiring diagram memorized at this point, but just looking for any additional guidance. Thank you all!

*Edit- I should probably mention the cart rolls freely, nothing binding and no strange smells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190215_194729.jpg (224.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190215_195049.jpg (215.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190215_234719.jpg (208.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190215_234710.jpg (202.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190215_234659.jpg (217.2 KB, 0 views)
Dragraceweekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 TXT PDS, no movement, no click, controller failure likely

37V is only about 70% charged. Fully charged is 38.2V after they have rested (neither charged no discharged) for 12 hours.

SoC chart attached. (For Trojan brand batteries, other brands have different voltages, but the DuraCells are Trojan clones)

The controller supplies both B+ and B- to solenoid coil and you have the B+ part if you can attache B- to blue wire and get the solenoid top click. Attachment-2 is a drawing showing the current paths for B+ to the solenoid coil. B- isn't shown, but it goes from B- terminal to main coil driver, which is triggered by the pedal switch input on J4 Pin-1

The pedal switch is a microswitch in the pedal box under the floor mat. The switch is toggled ever time the pedal is push so, it is used a lot and is a high failure item.

----------
When you push/pull cart with Run/Tow in the Run position, you should feel the regen braking kick in at about 2MPH. Beeper should also sound.

The beeper is located on the left side of the passenger glove-box. Can access it though keyswitch panel. A pervious owner may have pulled a wire off to silence it.

------------
With the blue wire plug in J2, the cart is in Steep Hill mode and on stock height (18") tires, it'll do about 13 MPH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Dragraceweekly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My pedal switch is working correctly, pack voltage is present at Red wire on microswitch, then present at green wire when accel pedal is depressed. Same goes for J4 pin 1 green wire. It is connected and shows pack voltage going into the controller, but controller is still not grounding blue wire J1 pin 6 when told to. This is why I ran a new ground to the solenoid, but surprised that the cart still will not move. I am still assuming faulty controller. I found the beeper previously and connected it correctly, but still no sound when in reverse or when trying to put the controller into diag mode. I can ground J1 pin 10 and reverse beeper will sound. Another telltale that the controller isn't doing it's part.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragraceweekly View Post
My pedal switch is working correctly, pack voltage is present at Red wire on microswitch, then present at green wire when accel pedal is depressed. Same goes for J4 pin 1 green wire. It is connected and shows pack voltage going into the controller, but controller is still not grounding blue wire J1 pin 6 when told to. This is why I ran a new ground to the solenoid, but surprised that the cart still will not move. I am still assuming faulty controller. I found the beeper previously and connected it correctly, but still no sound when in reverse or when trying to put the controller into diag mode.
Since controller drives both the solenoid coil and the beeper, the probability of a controller failure is high.

The stock PDS controller limits the motor to 4400RPM, which is about 18MPH on stock height (18") tires. If you replace it with a Alltrax XCT46400-PDS(or bigger), the RPM limit is user delectable up to 8k and without limiting a stock PDS motor will turn about 5600RPM with a 36V battery pack ,which is about 24MPH on 18" tall tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Dragraceweekly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Will probably grab a used controller off somewhere to see if it's the only issue left before upgrading. No clue if the motor is any count either but we will see. Thank you for the assistance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO