lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
jcassell1
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help...Crown CR235 battery question

I have 6 brand new Crown CR235 6 volt batteries for my 2008 EZGO 36 volt and using a FSIP Charge Plus high frequency charger to charge them. Once the charger stops charging them, I wait about 10-12 hours and test the voltage. Pack reads 37.5 volts and each battery measures 6.23 volts. This just seems low to me and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the full charge voltages should read for these particular batteries. The charger I'm using will get up to 46-47 volts while charging and 15 amps. Date on batteries are Feb 19. What can I do to get these fully charged?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
jcassell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Need help...Crown CR235 battery question

Welcome to the BGW forum !!

Stabilized pack voltage should be about 38.20 volts at 100% state of charge or 6.37 volts per 6 volt battery. At 37.5 volts you are only achieving an 80% state of charge. Note that it takes 12 to 24 hours after disconnecting your charger for the battery voltage to stabilize to determine an accurate state of charge.

See attached state of charge chart for more information.

Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I don't know the charge profile for your Crown batteries, but according to Trojan, charge voltage of up to 48.6 volts should be seen during the finish charge stage of charging (see Trojan attachment). I expect that the Crown charge voltage will be in this range as well.

Trojan Charger Voltage Settings - 2015.JPG

Perhaps someone familiar with your charger can comment if it needs to be set for a specific Crown charge profile.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
jcassell1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input, I'll check them tomorrow after they have been of charge for 12-24 hours. Would like to hear from anyone familiar with these batteries and charger. Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I have attached the FSIP Charge Plus manual below ... is this the same as your charger?

The manual indicates:

THIS CHARGER IS DESIGNED TO CHARGE DEEP-CYCLE LEAD ACID BATTERIES OF WET/FLOODED, AGM (ABSORBED GLASS MAT), OR GEL DESIGN.

Is also says:

ONCE CONNECTED, THE CHARGEPLUS WILL DISPLAY A SEQUENCE OF DETAILS ON THE CHARGERS INTERNAL PROGRAMMING.
• ONCE THE CHARGEPLUS DISPLAYS THE NAME “SPE”, IT WILL SHOW THE FOLLOWING IN SEQUENCE.
o SOFTWARE RELEASE/REVISION INSTALLED IN THE CHARGER
o BATTERY VOLTAGE
o CHARGING CURRENT (AMPS)
o CHARGING CURVE NUMBER
o FINALLY THE WORDS “GEL” OR “Acd” WILL BE DISPLAYED DEPENDING ON THE SETUP OF THE CHARGER
 MAKE SURE THAT THE BATTERY TYPE BEING CHARGED MATCHES THE BATTERY TYPE DISPLAYED ON THE SCREEN. IF IT DOES NOT, CONTACT THE DEALER THAT THE UNIT WAS PURCHASED FROM.

Does your charger display "GEL" or "Acd" when it starts up?

You should also check that the "Charging Curve Number" matches the Crown batteries that you are attempting to charge. You will likely have to contact FSIP for this information (or search for it online).

FSIP Charge Plus Manual.pdf
Old 03-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

If your batteries are brand new, they have to go through 30+ charge cycles to get up to full charge. That may be what you are seeing.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
jcassell1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I have attached the FSIP Charge Plus manual below ... is this the same as your charger?

The manual indicates:

THIS CHARGER IS DESIGNED TO CHARGE DEEP-CYCLE LEAD ACID BATTERIES OF WET/FLOODED, AGM (ABSORBED GLASS MAT), OR GEL DESIGN.

Is also says:

ONCE CONNECTED, THE CHARGEPLUS WILL DISPLAY A SEQUENCE OF DETAILS ON THE CHARGERS INTERNAL PROGRAMMING.

• ONCE THE CHARGEPLUS DISPLAYS THE NAME “SPE”, IT WILL SHOW THE FOLLOWING IN SEQUENCE.

o SOFTWARE RELEASE/REVISION INSTALLED IN THE CHARGER

o BATTERY VOLTAGE

o CHARGING CURRENT (AMPS)

o CHARGING CURVE NUMBER

o FINALLY THE WORDS “GEL” OR “Acd” WILL BE DISPLAYED DEPENDING ON THE SETUP OF THE CHARGER

 MAKE SURE THAT THE BATTERY TYPE BEING CHARGED MATCHES THE BATTERY TYPE DISPLAYED ON THE SCREEN. IF IT DOES NOT, CONTACT THE DEALER THAT THE UNIT WAS PURCHASED FROM.

Does your charger display "GEL" or "Acd" when it starts up?

You should also check that the "Charging Curve Number" matches the Crown batteries that you are attempting to charge. You will likely have to contact FSIP for this information (or search for it online).

Attachment 182833
It shows all the correct info for these batteries...36 volt, acd...

Old 03-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
jcassell1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshawk84 View Post
If your batteries are brand new, they have to go through 30+ charge cycles to get up to full charge. That may be what you are seeing.
Thanks, I'll keep a check on them as I charge them over the next month. Appreciate all the help and info.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:42 AM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshawk84 View Post
My experience on new Trojans is that they were up to full voltage on the first charge and stayed that way on every subsequent charge.

I understand that "run time" improves as your batteries get broken in but voltage should be 100% (or more) after charging.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
My experience on new Trojans is that they were up to full voltage on the first charge and stayed that way on every subsequent charge.

I understand that "run time" improves as your batteries get broken in but voltage should be 100% (or more) after charging.
Mine too, and I have eight. They hit OVER 100% SoC on the first day, when I had to rig up the charger port to charge them outside of the cart.

You may have a REAL problem, and if you don't figure it out, it could affect the useful life of your brand new EXPENSIVE pack. Not to be an alarmist, but BE ALARMED.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO