lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgraded EZGO TXT very slow uphill

Hi there! I have a 2006 EZGO 36v TXT PDS that is going very slow uphill.
This cart has been upgraded with everything you could imagine. I’ll list some of the parts below from the invoice the shop sent when we got everything installed:
-ALLTRAX DCX 500A/EZ PDS/ D&D TOR/SPD
-SOLENOID/ 36v/ 200A/ D&D Motor Kit
-16HP Motor (ITEM # MTR 20502)
-Diode/ 1Amp/ D&D Motor Kit
-Resistor/ 220/ D&D Motor Kit
-REGEN SPEED & TORQUE KIT 2000-UP EZGO PDS

When I try to drive up a slight incline, it slows down considerably and seems to struggle. Even with only 1-2 people in it. I tested the batteries and they never dropped below 5.3 volts, even while under load. All around, this cart just seems to struggle. I have no idea what else to do at this point. I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone had advice. Thank you very much.

Last edited by farmerjohnky; 04-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: forgot to list voltage
farmerjohnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Upgraded EZGO TXT very slow uphill

One more thing I forgot to add is the cart is lifted.. probably around 6-8 inches and has Jakes Front Bush Guard on it. No rear seat
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

first question most of us will ask...….it appears that you are still running 36v....true??

and if so, how old are your batteries??
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
first question most of us will ask...….it appears that you are still running 36v....true??

and if so, how old are your batteries??
Yes, it’s 36v. Sorry I forgot to mention that. The batteries are about 5 years old.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And what tire size? Have battery cables been upgraded to larger?

big lift, brush guard, rear seat, etc. all add a bunch of weight. As do bigger tires, especailly if they're heavy duty off-road type tires.

All that equates to a loss of torque. couple that will small/old wires and old tired batteries, you may have your answer right there depending on your battery condition. IF you have to replace the batteries, I'd consider upgrading to 48V. Looks like the rest of your electronics (minus solenoid) should already be waiting for a 48V pack
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohnky View Post
Yes, it’s 36v. Sorry I forgot to mention that. The batteries are about 5 years old.
What brand are they??

and truly....depending how well you have taken care of them....and even if you have.....5 years is are can be getting to end of life. so this could be because they are getting old.

NOW....if this is truly the case, what you really need/should consider is that if/when you decide to get new batteries, you need to seriously consider jumping to 48v. That will get you 33% more speed AND torque!

and considering your drive system (Alltrax controller) you are already set up for it, but should consider getting the 400a SD Solenoid. other than that, only thing you may need to change out would be your diode and resister. and that's cheep (like abut $10)
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
What brand are they??

and truly....depending how well you have taken care of them....and even if you have.....5 years is are can be getting to end of life. so this could be because they are getting old.

NOW....if this is truly the case, what you really need/should consider is that if/when you decide to get new batteries, you need to seriously consider jumping to 48v. That will get you 33% more speed AND torque!

and considering your drive system (Alltrax controller) you are already set up for it, but should consider getting the 400a SD Solenoid. other than that, only thing you may need to change out would be your diode and resister. and that's cheep (like abut $10)
...and a 48v Charger.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the responses. The tires are 22x11-8.
The batteries are Car Quest EV/Deep Cycle. I don’t believe the battery cables have been upgraded. I will probably take your guys advice and upgrade to 48 volt in he future, but at the moment that’s a lot of money to spend. Do you have any other advice on what I could do to get more power out of it? I’ve never messed with programming the controller.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The taller the tires, the more the cart slows on inclines. What is your tire height?

Low pressure (<10PSI max pressure) tires take more torque to turn and slow carts more on inclines. What is the max pressure stamped on sidewalls of you tires?

Also, the field map installed in the DCX makes a difference in how much the cart slows on inclines. Which filed map is loaded? (Probable ought to be #51 for a D&D 502 motor)

Are any of the cables getting hot?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
farmerjohnky
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The taller the tires, the more the cart slows on inclines. What is your tire height?

Low pressure (<10PSI max pressure) tires take more torque to turn and slow carts more on inclines. What is the max pressure stamped on sidewalls of you tires?

Also, the field map installed in the DCX makes a difference in how much the cart slows on inclines. Which filed map is loaded? (Probable ought to be #51 for a D&D 502 motor)

Are any of the cables getting hot?
The tires are stamped with a max pressure of 36psi. As for the field maps, I’m not even sure what that is. Sorry. I’ve never changed anything on the controller.

The controller and wires will get warm, but not what id call hot.

Tags
cart, ezgo, slow, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO