lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Super duty solenoid and XCT 500 wiring

Putting back together my XCT 500 and super duty solenoid and noticed on the wiring diagram from Alltrax and have a question-

On the diagram for PDS- one wire from battery pack to a solenoid stud, the other solenoid stud has one wire going to B+ and then a third wire from B+ to the A2 of the motor. Therefore two wires are connected to the B+ terminal of the Alltrax. Is that the most correct way?

I think previously I had the second solenoid stud having two wires on it - one going to B+ on controller and the other to A2 motor. So my question is does it matter if the two wires are on solenoid stud vs the B+ terminal on controller?

I attached a hand drawn picture. Option 1 is the drawing from Alltrax and option 2 is my question if it could or should not be wired that way

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0D6F4A05-AC27-42BF-AD11-CEF1BFF833BF.jpg (101.0 KB, 0 views)
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Super duty solenoid and XCT 500 wiring

Hi Conrad
Can you differentiate between wires and cables in your description? It makes it easier to understand (for me anyway)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Electrically, either connection is identical. I'd say, which ever arrangement results in a more solid connection for the 500 amp terminals, use that. If both arrangements are similar, meaning stud length of solenoid is adequate, and/or controller terminal, then I'd route the cables to allow the most flexibility, since the motor "follows" the road, while controller and solenoid follow the frame, over bumps.

I prefer only one cable per solenoid stud, just 'cause.

EDIT: If your solenoid is the same as mine, don't forget the studs are larger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hi Conrad
Can you differentiate between wires and cables in your description? It makes it easier to understand (for me anyway)
Yes, were you able to see the picture I posted? All wires referenced are the 2 gauge wires. I am solely referencing large gauge wires and how the positive of the battery pack, solenoid to controller and controller to motor A2 should be connected. I am not asking about the solenoid activation circuit.

Just to try to rephrase one more time as seen in my picture, can I put a 2 gauge wire that then goes to the B+ controller terminal AND second 2 gauge wire that goes to A2 of the motor on the same solenoid stud.

Or should the solenoid stud only have one 2 gauge wire going to B+ controller terminal and then have another wire at the B+ terminal going to the A2 of the motor. Therefore should I have the two mentioned wires at the solenoid stud or two at the B+ controller terminal.

I think if you read what I just wrote along with looking at my shotty diagram it should make sense

Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Electrically, either connection is identical. I'd say, which ever arrangement results in a more solid connection for the 500 amp terminals, use that. If both arrangements are similar, meaning stud length of solenoid is adequate, and/or controller terminal, then I'd route the cables to allow the most flexibility, since the motor "follows" the road, while controller and solenoid follow the frame, over bumps.

That makes perfect sense, thanks!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Ironically, when the controller's output duty-cycle is less than 100%, the B+ on controller to A2 on motor cable carries more amps than the stubby cable from the solenoid's controller side stud to the B+ terminal on controller, so the most efficient configuration is landing both cables on the controller's B+ terminal. That way the higher amps have a slightly shorter path (less resistance) to travel.

If you look at your data logs, motor amps exceed battery amps when throttle is less than 100% and motor amps equal battery amps when throttle is at 100%.

This is due to feeding the motor with pulsed DC when at <100% duty-cycle. When the pulse ends, the magnetic field collapses and generates a current in the windings that is the same polarity as the pulse was. There is a "Freewheel" diode, or something similar, in the controller between M- and B+ that completes the current loop.

-------
If you have thick cables in good condition, the difference probably is not noticeable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Like I said, just 'cause.

That's the way I wired mine (series), though as you said, "Ironically".
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO