lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Default New Solenoid, Blowing Fuse

Hello all, new here. Troubleshooting a fuse blowing issue. I recently replaced my solenoid... upgraded to a MZJ-400A. Original solenoid would only work sporadically. If there was a lot of moisture in the air this past winter, i couldn't get any throttle response. Now that it's warmer and drier, the cart has been working fine. However, I already ordered the new solenoid and finally installed. Now, as soon as i give it throttle, the 20 amp fuse blows. Put the old solenoid back on and all is fine except for a hesitation on initial take off. Reinstalled the new solenoid and the fuse blows immediately with throttle. Resistor and coil suppression diode are also new.
Small negative terminal on old solenoid has some burn marks... still works though.
Any recommendations?
48v Ruff Tuff series motor
Jhertel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Solenoid, Blowing Fuse

Welcome.

Please tell us year and type cart you have.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Thanks it's a 2006 Ruff &Tuff Hunter 2wd 48v
Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Supposedly an ezgo copy from what i hear
Old 05-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Welcome.

Please tell us year and type cart you have.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
Click on the link above and tell us drive type.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Its a series. Replace controller withan Alltrax 2 years ago
Old 05-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Is the 20 amp fuse in the charging cables? If you aren't charging, there's no reason for any current to flow, besides what little is needed for control voltage. This is the small white/red wire from the reed switch, or its bypass. Something is probably wired wrong when you changed solenoid. Check attached wiring diagram. Follow the highlighted circuit.

This doesn't show all low current paths, which includes the backup circuit from the solenoid to backup beeper and to controller's 1/2 speed circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- No A1 -Lo-Current traced.JPG (70.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Fuse is on the red wire that looks to be running back toward the front. I'm not sure really. Change solenoid back to original and everything works. No fuse issue. Put new solenoid back and fuse pops with the slightest throttle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15588053521272772159884440380646.jpg (320.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 15588054001793053854866509799857.jpg (234.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Really appreciate the time and help
Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

This looks to me like something came in contact with the solenoid high current side. Any fuses are added by you or the previous owner. I can't tell from the photos you attached what you are talking about. The fuse did its job and maybe saved your controller.

Do you have any pics of the install before you tried to drive? Something definitely touched one of the high current busses on the solenoid and may have touch the low current post on the same side.

Your best bet is to track down the original owner and ask (pay if you have to) him to sketch out what was done. The fault - arc which blew the fuse - seems like something you did, based on what I see.

Oh, look at the cable that connected to the scorched part of the solenoid and see if you see molten copper. If you do, the fix is easy. Just reconnect and make sure it doesn't come in contact with the small post. Just a guess. Something in your wires/cables will have a "scar". You need to find it.

It could also be the small wire touched the big bus or cable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO