lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Solenoid, Blowing Fuse

That's helpful, I'll check it out. What would happen if the resistor was bad?
Jhertel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhertel07 View Post
That's helpful, I'll check it out. What would happen if the resistor was bad?
Short term, nothing. It allows capacitors inside the controller to stay charged, which minimizes contact pitting in your solenoid. If your is bad, I have one for the cost of shipping.

The resister is the big component between the large posts, and the diode is the smaller one, and the band has to be on the positive side.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Can you clarify what the two photos you previously attached depict? Which is old and which is new? I assumed the 'sploded one was the new one, but in reexamining the pics, I'm not so sure now.

Is the newer looking solenoid just before it blew up? I don't see the burned marks, but do see a fuse holder opened. And it's yellow, which is 20 amps.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

When the fuse blows, i lose f/r response although switch light remains on. I also lose the charge meter display.
I'm ignorant when it comes to electrical problems but if the solenoid is stronger, would i not need a larger fuse?
Bad diode does what?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhertel07 View Post
When the fuse blows, i lose f/r response although switch light remains on. I also lose the charge meter display.
I'm ignorant when it comes to electrical problems but if the solenoid is stronger, would i not need a larger fuse?
Bad diode does what?
Bad diode is bad for the controller. I don't know how long it takes to damage it, but I'd go without a resister before I used a bad diode. I also have one of those, if you need it.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

New solenoid is the one installed...orange colored. Old is the brown one sitting on the fender. Brown one actual works still with the burn marks and all
Old 05-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #17
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Fuse is on positive line going to the dash. Its in a wiring harness with multi lines. Harness splits from dash to accelerator box in floor under liner
Old 05-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

OK, then ignore much of what I said. I just assumed 'sploded was the bad one. Previous owner did something that possibly lead to him adding fuses where none were before. That being the case, it's possible your new solenoid is bad. You can check how many ohms the coil has.

I think you were trying to ask if a beefier solenoid needs more current in order to close - coil - and the answer is I don't know. There's no need for it to take more, but it may. In any event, if you are blowing a 20 amp fuse, something has gone horribly wrong. The fact that your old one works and you were able to reinstall it, tells me you probably aren't doing anything wrong. I'd suspect the new solenoid has a bad coil.

Why did you buy a new one?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Ok we're on the same page now. Originally, the cart would not respond to accelerator peddle when it was really moist/wet/cold outside. I'm in mississippi so our winters are wet but not extreme cold. Solenoid would click but no response. I saw the burn marks and asked Scotty with cartunlimited and he suggested replacing it. If it was a nice winter day/dry conditions, it did fine. As its warmed up, I haven't had any issues. I bought the larger solenoid and finally got around to swapping it out.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Installed new solenoid, diode, resistor just like old one. Solenoid doesnt even click, just blows the fuse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO