lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Solenoid, Blowing Fuse

Gotcha. I'm jumping into the middle of something, and don't know the whole background.

Not knowing everything ScottyB does, I would have told you to eliminate the four wire Molex connector, seen in one of you photos, between the throttle box and the wiring harness. I soldered mine, but butt-splices will work. Cover with marine grade heat-shrink.

It's possible your diode may be shorted? Did you install it with the band to the positive side, the red wire(s)? Should be the same orientation as you old one. If that's not it, you may just have a shorted coil. Probably very uncommon, but possible.

If you don't have one, borrow or buy a handheld multimeter that measure volts to 2 decimal places and does ohms and continuity. Should be $20 +/- at Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, Walmart, Autozone, West Marine, etc. Test solenoid coil without diode. Test diode in both directions. Report back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Molex.jpeg (254.5 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhertel07 View Post
Installed new solenoid, diode, resistor just like old one. Solenoid doesnt even click, just blows the fuse
Make sure the diode is in the same direction as the old one.

Knowing this, it would be a waste of fuses to continue to try this without testing the new solenoid as mentioned above.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #23
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

I'll test diode. Quick question... what part of the solenoid would have juice with the key off? I just got zapped when my hand hit while trying to checkthe 4 wire run/ molex connector
Jhertel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Do you know what controller you have? Can you post a pic? Given the solenoid, I'm guessing it's an AXE, an SR, or maybe something in between as far as years. That will help me give you the correct wiring diagram. There's more than one way to wire these, AND the SR controllers feed the solenoid pack negative, something the stock and AXE controllers didn't.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #25
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

It's an alltrax 500 amp. Model spm48500ez
Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'll post it, in case you don't have it. I've never looked at those before. As to your question, I get zapped all the time, when I touch positive or negative. I'm always barefooted.

https://alltraxinc.com/

Legacy Products

https://alltraxinc.com/spm-products/

https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...T-WIRE-DIA.pdf

So this is the same as the SR. Solenoid gets pack negative from the controller. This allows the controller to prevent the solenoid from activating if it's pissed off, unlike the stock or AXE.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #27
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

Bad diode! The new diode was full continuaty. Glad i had the fuse in place
Old 05-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

I put the old diode on (had to lengthen it) and everything is working now. Very grateful for your help!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #29
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

YAY!

I've never seen a shorted diode. I always manage to blow them to bits. Not in a cart.

I'd still eliminate the Molex connector. Mine went intermittent, and would fail several times a year until I replaced it.

If humidity still seems to cause problems, I'd look inside the throttle box. See if you can seal it better. Mine went under water several times in one evening, and only got a few drops inside, which is batter than I expected.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #30
Jhertel07
Not Yet Wild

That's good advice, will do. Appreciate it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO