lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Snowdendfd
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 txt new Trojans won’t travel more than a mille

I have a 2005 easy go TXT 36 V cart. March 22 of this year I had six brand new Trojan T105 batteries installed by the local battery shop. They also tested the charger which is a pro fit 36 V charger and said that it was good. In the last two weeks when we try to take it for a ride it will not make it more than a mile before we are pushing it back to the house. I have checked water level on all the batteries and connections of all the cables. Voltage across all six batteries when charged is 37.2 V. When I check each battery separately I have four batteries at 6.3 V and two batteries at 5.7 V. This is while they are all still wired together though. The only other modification I have done is adding a digital voltage display next to the key switch. It is wired so that it only powers on when the key is turned on. What’s my next step for troubleshooting? I have also included three photos.
Snowdendfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2005 txt new Trojans won’t travel more than a mille

I'm someone that likes to do all my own service when possible. However in this case after checking the basics I would have the cart shop that did the batteries do a check and see if it is a battery issue that is under warranty. These are almost new batteries so surely there is a warranty and they are the ones that would have to process the claim as the original seller. Need to test batteries under load 12 hours after charger shuts off but the two batteries that are 5.7 seem to be a problem.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
Threeput
Gone Wild

Maybe it is not charging properly...check voltage "when charging" across string and each battery...should be charging about 42.5 volts...or 2.35 per cell...is the charger cutting off too soon
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdendfd View Post
I have a 2005 easy go TXT 36 V cart. March 22 of this year I had six brand new Trojan T105 batteries installed by the local battery shop. They also tested the charger which is a pro fit 36 V charger and said that it was good. In the last two weeks when we try to take it for a ride it will not make it more than a mile before we are pushing it back to the house. I have checked water level on all the batteries and connections of all the cables. Voltage across all six batteries when charged is 37.2 V. When I check each battery separately I have four batteries at 6.3 V and two batteries at 5.7 V. This is while they are all still wired together though. The only other modification I have done is adding a digital voltage display next to the key switch. It is wired so that it only powers on when the key is turned on. What’s my next step for troubleshooting? I have also included three photos.
You need to charge after every time you use the cart, or at least at the end of the day. 100% is 38.2 volts 12 hours after charge completion, but yours should be even higher as new as they are. 6.37 is 100% state of charge (SOC). 6.3 is not. 5.7 is deader than dead. You need numbers to two decimal places for individual batteries and at least on for pack. Read up here:

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

You need to have a REAL digital volt meter, which you can find on the above link. Do you have a meter or "display"? Do you have a handheld digital multimeter (DMM)? The first thing I'd do is confirm your charger is working. Do you know how to care for and maintain batteries, or is this new to you? I'd contact the shop where you bought the batteries. Check the date code on each and every battery. Did you charge them completely before going to ride the first time?

Also, you can post pics at full size. They will still show up as thumbnails, but we can click on them and zoom in for looking at batteries and charger type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batterytable1-1.jpg (88.7 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Snowdendfd
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I thought it had been on the charger all day. I will update that tomorrow. My wife had it out while I was @ work. I leave this charger on all the time if it’s not being used. From what I’ve read this style of charger charges to capacity then shuts off. I do have a digital meter. Fluke 117. HVAC for 15 years. Currently the charger is putting out 42.89 volts. I am a newbie to the cart world. As far as maintenance I know to keep fluid above cells but not over full. The wires are 4g and connections are tight. Each battery is tagged c-9 which if I’m not mistaken is March 2019 I’m not sure of any other way to post a picture other than adding it through The “attach file” link below the Reply window.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Sideways
Gone Wild

just throwing my 2 cents in
Does the charger's profile match Trojan's recommendations to correctly charge these battery's?
Contact Trojan, they should be able to advise.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
Snowdendfd
Not Yet Wild

My charger ran for about 1.5 hours and showed they were charged. This is what the batteries are showing. 1 being the passenger rear battery and going clockwise.
1-6.62
2-6.63
3-6.69
4-6.65
5-5.929
6-5.962
Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdendfd View Post
My charger ran for about 1.5 hours and showed they were charged. This is what the batteries are showing. 1 being the passenger rear battery and going clockwise.
1-6.62
2-6.63
3-6.69
4-6.65
5-5.929
6-5.962
Two of your batteries are definitely gone. You'll know about the others in the morning. Glad you have a Fluke and know how to use it. That intimidates a lot of folks.

Actually, if you have one, try placing the last two batteries on a 12 volt car charger. No need to disconnect anything.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The low # 5+6 batteries at under 6 volts could be the problem.
All battery voltages should be the same after charging at rest after 12 hours.

Plug charger back in 30 minutes after it shuts to give batteries a good equalizing charge.

Next check each cell with hydrometer .hydrometer reading will show weak or bad cell.

Suspect you may have 2 weak batteries drawing down pack. Or charger profile incorrect and not fully charging, then
equalizing batteries.
What brand charger and charging profile?

Ps never unplug charger till it completely charges batteries and shuts off on it’s own. Otherwise it will not complete charging “cycle”.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Snowdendfd
Not Yet Wild

The charger is an off brand dpi charger. It’s name is profit. It’s in mode 2 which from what I can tell is for trojan batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO