lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
lumberrjack
Not Yet Wild

Default 2016 Precedent Limp Mode

Original club car batteries(6x8v). Showing 50.7 volts after full charge/full day of rest. Has a 1268-5417 400A Curtis controller, Nidec drive systems model EX9-4002 motor and a curtis sw80-2028P solenoid. Just replaced the MCOR 4 with a new oem one from dealer bc of erratic throttle control. New MCOR fixed issue and it ran fine. Installed Scotty's 2 gauge battery cables(all correct orientation) 30a 48v to 12v reducer, rhox turn signal swith lgt-132 and LED lights/signals.

I installed a club car 48v charger relay with diode to make the reducer key switchable per Sergio's instructions/wiring diagram. I made a mistake by using leads jumped from the small activation terminals on the solenoid to power/activate the relay. So light blue + from solenoid to + on the charger relay and blue/white stripe - from solenoid to charger relay and diode soldered between light blue and blue/white stripe with ring/line facing light blue + side. When I drove it the relay only activated when the gas pedal was depressed and solenoid activated(duh-wasn't thinking i know i know) and it went in to limp mode and would stop completely with full throttle.

All work was done with battery pack disconnected/batteries removed - no sparks or any accidental grounding while working on it) I removed jumper from blue/white striped wire and hooked to negative battery pack(no obc) and the relay worked fine. It is still in limp mode. It took off fast then slowed to limp mode with half throttle. If I applied full throttle the cart comes to a complete stop. So i disconnected light blue jumper from solenoid and disconnected relay and reducer until it is fixed. It is still in limp mode. I tried the speed sensor test and it does not slow the cart. But if I turn the key off/on it resets and has full power on half throttle and the engine braking works temporarily if it is rolling but then goes in to limp mode and completely stops on full throttle and engine braking stops working. Solenoid checks out with voltmeter.

Not sure what it is. Any ideas? Speed sensor? Did i fry the controller or solenoid when i hooked the relay jumper to solenoid? thanks

Last edited by lumberrjack; 09-04-2019 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: clarification
lumberrjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2016 Precedent Limp Mode

The first thing I would check is the harness 16 pin connector to the new 1268 connectors.

The speed sensor is part of the main 16-pin connector on the OEM controller but it has a separate 6-pin connector on the 1268.

That relay coil only uses 0.02 Amps so it would not have caused a controller problem.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
lumberrjack
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The first thing I would check is the harness 16 pin connector to the new 1268 connectors.

The speed sensor is part of the main 16-pin connector on the OEM controller but it has a separate 6-pin connector on the 1268.

That relay coil only uses 0.02 Amps so it would not have caused a controller problem.
Checked harness and speed sensor connector. Everything looks good. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the sensor has the proper signals.

Disconnect the 3-pin connector from the speed sensor.

Measure the voltage between Purple and Red, it should be 15v.

Measure the voltage between Purple and Green, it should be 5v.

If the voltages are correct the speed sensor has failed.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
lumberrjack
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Make sure the sensor has the proper signals.

Disconnect the 3-pin connector from the speed sensor.

Measure the voltage between Purple and Red, it should be 15v.

Measure the voltage between Purple and Green, it should be 5v.

If the voltages are correct the speed sensor has failed.
14.6v & 4.6v respectively with tow/run on run

12.3v & 2.4v respectively with tow/run on, f selected, and ignition switch on
Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That 2.4v is borderline to be considered a high signal.

Measure those two wires again (Red and Green) with the key On and in Forward, but place the meter negative probe on pack negative instead of the Purple negative wire on the 3 pin connector.

If the voltage readings show the correct values, the issue could be with the yellow/black negative accessory wire in the dash using too much power.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
lumberrjack
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That 2.4v is borderline to be consider a high signal.

Measure those two wires again (Red and Green) with the key On and in Forward, but place the meter negative probe on pack negative instead of the Purple negative wire on the 3 pin connector.

If the voltage readings show the correct values, the issue could be with the yellow/black negative accessory wire in the dash using too much power.
14.9v and 5v

The only thing hooked up to dash black/yellow is negative for digital volt meter from Scotty B.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
lumberrjack
Not Yet Wild

Just unhooked volt meter from dash and showing 14.6 and 4.6 at 3 pin terminal.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That probably fixed your issue.

That yellow/black wire in some models is fed by the low throttle pin in the controller and your conversion harness did not account for that when installed in a 2016 precedent.

You should also cut off the purple wire near the 3-pin speed sensor connector and run that purple wire from the 3-pin connector directly to controller B-.

Tape the side of the purple wire from the harness as it will not be used.

The 1268 throttle low pin should only provide return current for the MCOR.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
lumberrjack
Not Yet Wild

Fixed!!!! Thank you! Never would have guessed it was the gauge... so I assume it’s bad and I need to replace it? It should be okay to hook to that black/yellow?

And is it okay to hook the positive activation wire for the charger relay for voltage reducer to the light blue at solenoid like I had? And hook the negative to battery pack?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car