lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question about a Powerwise charger

Yeah... the capacitor registered nothing for ohms and open... no continuity
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

... and the other charger did shut off at @ 46.5 volts... seems a little high but I guess better a bit high than a bit low?
Old 09-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #13
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

actually 42-44 volts is the normal cut-off voltage for a 36V charger. It's around 52-55 on a 48V charger. These aren't 'smart' chargers so they kinda over charge a bit and consider it done.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
actually 42-44 volts is the normal cut-off voltage for a 36V charger. It's around 52-55 on a 48V charger. These aren't 'smart' chargers so they kinda over charge a bit and consider it done.
If anything the ferroresonant transformer type chargers, such as the PW28115, undercharges newer batteries so they won't overcharge older batteries.

Technically, a lead-acid battery is fully charged until the SG (specific gravity) of the electrolyte ceases to rise while a charging current is passing through it. The battery's on-charge voltage tracks the SG of the electrolyte, so it can be inferred a lead-acid battery isn't charged until the on-charge voltage ceases to rise while a charging current is flowing through the battery. This has been known to battery and battery charger manufacturers for many decades, but only in the more recent decades has the technology needed to make use of it been reduced in size and cost enough to use it to terminate a charge cycle in consumer grade golf cart battery chargers.

The electronics needed to terminate the charge when a predetermined voltage was reached was relatively small and cheap, so that was what was used in the chargers that replaced the timer only chargers. The predetermined cutoff voltage picked was one that was thought to be high enough to "adequately" charge new batteries and not so high that it would seriously overcharge batteries as they neared the end of their useful life.

2.5VPC (Volts per Cell) was picked and 0.05VPC fudge factor was applied to give us 45V +/- 1.0V or from 44v to 46V as the normal range of cutoff voltages for the typical 36V ferroresonant transformer type golf cart battery charger.

The target cutoff voltage range for a 48V ferroresonant transformer type charger is 60V +/- 1.2V or 58.8V to 61.2V.

Attached is the recommended charge curve for Trojan batteries. Note the upper voltage range goes from 2.45VPC up to 2.79VPC. That's from 44.1V to 50.2V for a 36V battery pack and from 58.8V to 66.9V for a 48V battery pack.

Modern chargers using dT/dV (change in Time over change in Voltage) technology take the batteries a lot closer to the higher number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve - Wet Cell.JPG (32.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #15
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I also have an accusense DPI and it seems to work quite well but I don’t know much about it... It has a Micro USB Data Port but I have no idea what that means
Old 09-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolflt View Post
.. It has a Micro USB Data Port but I have no idea what that means
Diddly-squat. Even if you had the CD to go along with it, the software is a "subscription service" type thing that doesn't do diddly without the software key. It's for development use only. You & I don't get to be DPI friends for development. I asked them what I could do with it & the CD, they said "nothing".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just installed the new capacitor... Working good as new now... jumped straight to 18 amps even though the pack was pretty fully charged

I don’t know if polarity is an issue on that particular capacitor but I did it scientifically... I turned the label the same direction and plugged it in and it worked out
Old 09-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolflt View Post
Just installed the new capacitor... Working good as new now... jumped straight to 18 amps even though the pack was pretty fully charged

I don’t know if polarity is an issue on that particular capacitor but I did it scientifically... I turned the label the same direction and plugged it in and it worked out
Glad to hear you got it going again.

If the cap was polarized, it would have exploded when the 480VAC hit it.

----------
The output amps will be at max until the on-charge voltage climbs to about 42V, then it starts tapering off as the on-charge voltage continues to climb.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO