lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Is this Weldable ???

Looking for input from folks with TIG welding experience to see if this can be fixed. In tearing down my 98' DS project I found one of the brackets that the front seat back bolts into has broken off. I am attaching two pictures. In one I don't have the pieces tight together to show the break a little better. The other shows them pushed tight together. Can an experienced welder (not me) fix this? I was also thinking they could weld another piece over top of it or under it for extra strength. Thoughts please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg break 3.jpg (128.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg break 4.jpg (116.6 KB, 0 views)
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is this Weldable ???

That is super common. I’ve never welded it myself but I did have a cart where it was welded successfully by someone before me...
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That can be welded for sure albeit with the aluminum process. It also looks like that brake is high enough that you could bolt some aluminum strips on both sides of your bracket for a fix. It won't be as pretty but will do the job.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes, welded that many times... Grind out ("V") both sides of the break. Then tack it on both sides with a MIG welder preferably. Then weld in small increments from both sides to prevent drawing. Then when you have it filled, grind the top side off smooth and you are good to go.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Pardon my ignorance but a chance to learn more here. I thought TIG was the method for Aluminum but you state MIG. Without getting too complicated, could you elaborate further. I do have a MIG but doubt I would try that based on my skill level. Also, I doubt my MIG has everything I would need for aluminum. Thanks to all for the replies. Cant' tell you how much I have learned in my short time here.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some MIGs are aluminum compatible but TIG is the preferred method. And yes, Aluminum welding has a steep learning curve. Take it to a professional.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
rib33024

Here's some info on both

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

My experience comes from 30 years as a Certified Welder from high pressure boiler tube to HDPE pipe. I have certified at 6G and all other positions and sizes, with bend test and x-rays. We have welded a little bit of everything in my industry and career.

MIG is a lot easier and much more prevalent for the home mechanic. TIG (which requires HF) is a much more expensive machine and generally not in most peoples garages. With a MIG you can run a across the top, down the side and back across the bottom. With a TIG, you are going to have an issue when you go upside down and weld it in an overhead position. I can do it, but no way would I when I can MIG it.

I like to TIG (and is required) for a root-pass on HP boiler pipe. In the old days it was with a 6010 and then we welded out with a 7018. I use to weld up aluminum props with a stick so I have done it a lot of ways, but for what you have there, a good quality MIG weld will serve you well. I have never ever had an issue with it from repairing frames, to extending DS's, to adding on brackets or braces on many many CC golf cats.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

The problem with carrying to a welding shop is they are going to charge you an arm and a leg. Many have minimum fees. We have a guy here that won't charge less than $200 for any project, which he says is due to the time it takes to set everything up, prep and weld it. I can understand that from a business standpoint. What you need is a friend to do it for you. Now, with all that said, you can use a torch or map gas and braze it. Do a google search and tons of info will pop up. You can get rods with flux online. You can buy the brazing rods at tractor supply that don't have the flux. It's harder to do without it. I've done quite a bit of it on aluminum boats and it is very strong. Usually you can bend it in a circle before it breaks. You don't want to use an acetylene torch due to it getting too hot. Alluminum will just fall out when it's too hot which is why a propane or MAP torch is preferred. MAP comes in a yellow bottle.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks to all who have replied. I wish I had a friend I could take it to but that, sadly, is not the case. Not that I don't have friends, just none with that skill set. I will research the brazing option. I do have a MAP torch. I will also check around to see what my options and costs are in my general area. Joe
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car