lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Vandy_Guy
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery storage in winter

I have a set of batteries that are currently sitting out of one of my project carts. They were fully charged up before removing them. Can I leave them out of the cart for an extended period of time? If so, how long? Should I be storing them in a specific temp range and off the cold concrete floor? Or should I just drop them back in the cart and hook up the charger for the winter?
Vandy_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery storage in winter

Lead-Acid batteries typically self discharge at about 1% SoC per day and you don't want them to sit in a partially discharged state and the plates sulfate (aging) more rapidly at 70% SoC and below, so the ought to be recharged every month, or connected to a charger that float charges.

As for storage temperature, the freezing point on the electrolyte is about -15°F at 70%SoC and about -78°F at 100% SoC.

The lower the battery's charge, the higher the freezing point. 50% SoC is +4°F and 10% SoC is +27°F.

The batteries do need to be charged, but can be charged out of the cart. Just remember the batteries give off Hydrogen gas while charging,. so don't place the close to an open flame when they are being charged.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Vandy_Guy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Lead-Acid batteries typically self discharge at about 1% SoC per day and you don't want them to sit in a partially discharged state and the plates sulfate (aging) more rapidly at 70% SoC and below, so the ought to be recharged every month, or connected to a charger that float charges.

As for storage temperature, the freezing point on the electrolyte is about -15°F at 70%SoC and about -78°F at 100% SoC.

The lower the battery's charge, the higher the freezing point. 50% SoC is +4°F and 10% SoC is +27°F.

The batteries do need to be charged, but can be charged out of the cart. Just remember the batteries give off Hydrogen gas while charging,. so don't place the close to an open flame when they are being charged.
Thanks JohnnieB! I'll probably just finish up the battery tray restore and drop them back into the cart so they can charge as needed through the winter. That is interesting about the hydrogen!
Vandy_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy_Guy View Post
Thanks JohnnieB! I'll probably just finish up the battery tray restore and drop them back into the cart so they can charge as needed through the winter. That is interesting about the hydrogen!
In addition to being extremely flammable, it'll set off Carbon Monoxide detectors.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO