lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
alangsam
Getting Wild

Default Cart darting from side to side With slight steering changes

Club car precedent stretch 2018 lwotj 215/40 low profile tires. Seems to be darting when at speed with slight steering changes. There isn’t any slip when jack it up and pull push on tires. Eyeballing the front end looks close to alignment however I don’t know how to measure.

What could be causing this?
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Cart darting from side to side With slight steering changes

Toe Angle is out of alignment. This is common on the Precedent because the steering arm on the spindle gets bent easily.
Use a tape measure to check the center to center distance across the front of the front tires as close to center as possible, then do the same check across the rear of the front tires. You should have 1/8 to 1/4” shorter distance across the front measurement.
If it needs to be adjusted loosen the 19mm lock nut or each tie rod end and make equal adjustments of 1/4turn at a time on each side until you get the correct measurement acros the front of the tires.
After adjusting roll the cart backwards and forwards a few feet and then re-check the measurement and adjust as necessary. Tighten the lock nuts when done.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart darting from side to side With slight steering changes

I've found that adjusting one component of the steering will not get the job done. It requires a complete adjustment that includes the tow in, Camber and steering wheel adjustment. I am attaching a procedure written by TahowDawg on how to correct your front end. The only thing I could add is use calipers instead a tape measure to set the tie rod ends equal. You can find the procedure in the stickies under centering steering wheel. Removing the steering wheel may be optional

The knuckle to rack joint will only fit one way. It's designed that way intentionally to allow the factory front end to get a 12 o clock reading on the steering wheel. Rule that out, that's not the problem. I understand you put on a lift kit, but this shouldn't change.

Now, remove your steering wheel and adapter. Don't look at it. It's irrelevant at this point.

Take a look at your steering rack. Look at the threads on each side where the ball joint threads on to the rack. You should have equal amount of threads on each side. If you don't. Make them equal. Either run one out, or run one in. Doesn't matter at this point. You can either count the threads, or measure with a tape measure. Just back off of the jam-nut and twist the shaft either into, or out of the ball joints. Don't worry about front end alignment at this point. Just get your threads equal.

Grab your tape measure. You should be able to distinguish a center point of the radius of the tire. Measure from left tire to right tire, center to center, at the forward most point of the tires. Record your measurement. Let's say it's 35" even. Measure the same two tires at the rear most point of the tire. It should be 35" 1/8". If it's not, let's get it there...

Make sure the jam nuts on the rack are backed off all the way to allow twisting of the shafts without running into the jam nuts. Take a 12mm wrench (fits nicely onto the rack ends) and "EQUALLY" adjust each side the SAME as each other until you reach your desired toe setting. For example, do a half turn out on each side. Recheck with tape measure, and so on, and so on. Just as long as you don't overdo one side, your thread measurement should not change and should stay equal with one another.

Once you reach the desired toe setting, Put the steering wheel on loosely. With a factory suspension, it will slide right on, in the top dead center 12" position and you won't need to adjust any further. However, with the imperfection of aftermarket lift kits you may have to adjust slightly on one side or the other. Let's say that the wheel is approximately 15 degrees to the right while the vehicle is going in a perfect straight line. This is where I try to explain to the guys at work how I use the "Chase the Wheel" method. You're actually wanting to force the tires in the direction of the steering wheel by adjusting the ball joints. If it's to the right, you'll run the passenger side rack shaft OUT OF the ball joint, and the driver side one INTO the ball joint. This will force both tires to turn RIGHT. Do this Equally in VERY small EVEN increments until the Top Dead Center steering wheel position is reached. Once it's there, Tighten her up and call it a night.
David Hicks - Owner - Revolution Golf Cars www.RevolutionGolfCars.com

OEM MCORs & Speed Sensors, Motor & Controller Packages, and More. 706-431-3917
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car