lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Remote controlled ignition switch mod

Has anyone installed a remote controlled relay in place of the stock ignition switch? Saw one on Golf Carts Modified group on FaceBook. Appears to be a relay with two remotes available from Amazon and an LED indicator light in place of the original switch. Looking to possibly do this for my dad's cart, as he has issues getting the key in the switch easily.

https://www.facebook.com/TaylorDCart...6804262389850/
SHIMHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Remote controlled ignition switch mod

I have this same set up. I think that's a video of my cart after install. I bought it from TaylorD. I like it so far and haven't had any issues. We like it because we go camping and leave it out overnight. No one can come up to cart with universal key and take it for a joyride. Haven't put much thought into the downside, hopefully don't have to.
cinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

What else was included on that video $150 price tag?

The remote control unit is $22 and the 48v light is $5.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...29BIB8JL&psc=1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-12...IAAOSwJKZdD7iN
Also, aren't they all the same 433MHz frequency, how did You make yours unique and immune to every other remote of the same kind?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
cinder
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
What else was included on that video $150 price tag?

The remote control unit is $22 and the 48v light is $5.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...29BIB8JL&psc=1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-12...IAAOSwJKZdD7iN
Also, aren't they all the same 433MHz frequency, how did You make yours unique and immune to every other remote of the same kind?

I didn't pay the price posted for the upgrade. It was much less. I agree the advertised price is a bit high. I don't think poster is considering the price advertised, but for the unit itself and maybe self installing. It is my understanding that you have to program the remote to each controller. They are not all the same code. You have to pair the remote if you add more in the future. There is a learn button on side of module. For me it was more about the fact that most people wont be walking around randomly with a remote trying to start a cart at a campground. This seemed to be pretty secured for my needs.
cinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I agree not many people would have one of those, well that was until we posted how to do it for under $30

The only downside is that the receiver consumes power the entire time, but as long as it is wired to the key switch circuit and not the pack, turning the Tow/Run switch OFF would turn it OFF as well.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #6
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So has anyone actually done this themselves? Care to post how to wire it? Is the module powered by the cart or use batteries?
Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The connections are pretty simple as the device is directly powered by the cart.

These are based on a Precedent but it applies to most carts.

The Green wire on a Precedent is the "always ON" power and the Blue wire is the switched side.

I used the word "side" in case there is more than one wire connected to the key switch terminal.
Key Switch Green Wire side -> Input Positive Terminal #1
Key Switch Blue Wire side -> Output Positive Terminal #3

Existing Black/Yellow (Negative) wire in dash -> Input Terminal #2

48v Indicator Light Positive -> Output Terminal #3
48v Indicator Light Negative -> Output Terminal #4

Program the remote for "interlock mode" so it uses both buttons, one for ON and one for OFF.

If the cart is going to be parked/stored for a while, put the Tow/Run switch in Tow so the remote receiver is powered OFF and not draining the battery.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
SHIMHEAD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you Sergio! Parts are ordered, will install and report back the results. Ordered a third remote as well. Do you know if remote programming is sequential, as in can you add a remote without affecting the existing remotes already programmed?
Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should be able to add more remotes, just follow the instructions to program each remote for "Interlock mode".
Old 02-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
Nolagt
Gone Wild

I saw in that same group a remote start but it also helped with loading the cart into a truck bed...like it just crept the cart along slow enough so you could stand next to it and guide it in easier. I dont know if its a stand alone unit that we could buy?
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car