lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 club car Ds running slow

OK, sounds like it has only one solenoid.
Does it have a Big lever for FnR?

And it has a pie wedge shaped black box between the batteries on the drivers side frame rail?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #12
Jkinney
Not Yet Wild

Yes exactly
Jkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #13
Jkinney
Not Yet Wild

That is the v glide? Correct
Old 02-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkinney View Post
Ok so i took the plastic Pannel off the back of the cart and I don’t see a coil on the dr. Side. It just has the ground coming through with some other wires. Next to that in the center is a silver box and then on passenger side there is a black box with with a power wire coming from the passenger side battery and a yellow wire going to the silver box. Both are 4 gauge cables. Thanks for any help I wish I knew more. I know I probably sound pretty stupid! Lol
You do NOT sound stupid.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

They called it a v-glide on the early cars, later on they changed the insides a bit and called it a multi-step pot, but it’s the same idea just not handling the high current load to the motor anymore.

You said the cart sometimes speeds up a little more? With the drive system you have that would point to a throttle problem or low pack voltage.
If you can, hook a voltmeter to the pack and take the cart for a drive and see what the pack voltage is when the cart is driving. Low voltage = low speed, and usually indicates the pack is on its way out. With brand new batteries it would indicate that one of them is faulty. You don’t want to see voltage under about 42v when driving. If the voltage is this low then you need to check each battery individually to see if one is falling flat.

A throttle issue could either be a misadjusted, bent, or loose linkage arm between the pedal and the pie box. Or it could be a damaged contact or bad resistor inside the pie box.
You’ll need to remove the batteries on the drivers side, and remove the cover on the side of the box. Check the copper pads for any corrosion or obvious wear marks. Also check that the wiper arm moves all the way to the top pad when you press the Go pedal down. It has to make it all the way to the top pad to tell the controller to give full throttle.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
Jkinney
Not Yet Wild

I took the cover off and it does have apparent wear marks but is making contact and goes to the full motion with the wiper. I will check the voltage tomorrow. Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #17
Jkinney
Not Yet Wild

I checked the pack voltage while driving and it reads 50.3
Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
Jkinney
Not Yet Wild

I pulled out the pie box and cleaned all the contacts with emery cloth and reinstalled everything and no change. I’m assuming from previous advise that it must be bad resister but not sure how to tell.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #19
Jkinney
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkinney View Post
I pulled out the pie box and cleaned all the contacts with emery cloth and reinstalled everything and no change. I’m assuming from previous advise that it must be bad resister but not sure how to tell.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok, two things you'll want to check.

The three microswitches at the back of the FnR lever. On the 3rd switch (rear most towards the back of the cart) there should be a Green wire on top, a Black in the middle, and a White wire on the bottom. Make sure those are in the correct order. If these are in the wrong order the cart may only run at half speed, or it may not run at all. Another possibility is the switch has failed and is stuck in the reverse position, so the controller is only allowing half speed operation.
To check that you would remove the wires from the switch and check for continuity from the top terminal to the others. With the switch lever depressed (pulled toward the switch, as it would be if the shift lever is in R) there should only be continuity from the top pin to the center pin. With the switch released there should only be continuity from the top pin to the bottom pin.

Another thing you can check is the throttle resistance at the controller, which should be about 5.5k ohms to 0 ohms.
At the controller unplug the small Green and Yellow wires on pins 2 and 3.
Check resistance on the green and yellow wires as you press the Go pedal down. It should start at over 5kohms and fall down to 0 ohms in several steps of about 1k ohms per step as you press the pedal down. If it does not go all the way down to 0 ohms, the controller is not getting the full throttle signal and will not go full speed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car