lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Post Golf Cart issues Controller or Solenoid???

Good afternoon. This is my first post. I am new to the golf carting world. I bought a 96 club car ds. Seemed to be in very good shape when I first got it. My wife and my kids go on drives multiple times a day around our neighborhood and community.

Since I bought the cart, I have added 6 brand new batteries, a back seat, a 6” lift kit, 23” tires, and a light kit. It has changed the cart a lot and we love it even more. Shortly after I installed the light kit, about a day or two, the cart when dead on me. It would not do anything. I took the solenoid out, cleaned the connections and still nothing. I gave up. Ordered a new solenoid and put the cart on the charger to maintain the batteries. I checked maybe an hour later and tried it. The cart ran perfect. Almost felt stronger and faster than normal.

I drove another two days and bam, cart did the same thing. This time, nothing I seem to do has fixed it. Once or twice, the cart will move like an inch, but that is all. The battery pack is fully charged. I am getting power to solenoid and it click. I believe I’m getting power to the controller.

I have. A few questions.

First, could installing thoughts have done anything? I have them on a 12v dv converter. They still work perfect. Bright. Never flicker.

Second, could this be the solenoid still or could
It be the controller? Would me adding the lift kit and tires have caused either rod these to go bad sooner?

Third, what are the odds this is a motor problem?

Any help would be great. I was already planning on buying a new controller and solenoid for the cart for more speed and power. But now I’m afraid I might have a money sink. Thank you.
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Golf Cart issues Controller or Solenoid???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolassus View Post
Since I bought the cart, I have added 6 brand new batteries, a back seat, a 6” lift kit, 23” tires, and a light kit. .... Shortly after I installed the light kit, about a day or two, the cart when dead on me. It would not do anything. I took the solenoid out, cleaned the connections and still nothing. I gave up. Ordered a new solenoid and put the cart on the charger to maintain the batteries. I checked maybe an hour later and tried it. The cart ran perfect. Almost felt stronger and faster than normal.

I drove another two days and bam, cart did the same thing. This time, nothing I seem to do has fixed it. Once or twice, the cart will move like an inch, but that is all. The battery pack is fully charged. I am getting power to solenoid and it click. I believe I’m getting power to the controller.
First, could installing thoughts have done anything? I have them on a 12v dv converter. They still work perfect. Bright. Never flicker.

Second, could this be the solenoid still or could
It be the controller? Would me adding the lift kit and tires have caused either rod these to go bad sooner?

Third, what are the odds this is a motor problem?

Any help would be great. I was already planning on buying a new controller and solenoid for the cart for more speed and power. ....
36v or 48v?
Still have OEM V-glide?
This may not be your problem, but what type of DC converter did you use?
Is the converter connected to the batteries all the time or connected with a relay only when the ignition switch is ON?
Does the solenoid engage ("click") when pressing the pedal?
Lift kits and tires would not affect anything electrical unless a wire got pinched or cut.
Doubt you have a motor problem.
For the best performance from a larger amp capable controller and solenoid all system components that carry current need to be upgraded - battery pack cables, battery to GND & motor cables, F-R switch.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
36v or 48v?
Still have OEM V-glide?
This may not be your problem, but what type of DC converter did you use?
Is the converter connected to the batteries all the time or connected with a relay only when the ignition switch is ON?
Does the solenoid engage ("click") when pressing the pedal?
Lift kits and tires would not affect anything electrical unless a wire got pinched or cut.
Doubt you have a motor problem.
For the best performance from a larger amp capable controller and solenoid all system components that carry current need to be upgraded - battery pack cables, battery to GND & motor cables, F-R switch.
It is 48v.
OEM v-glide
It is a GPD FBA_C-300 36-60v step down 30a converter from Amazon. It is tied to the key switch, so only draws power when in the ON position.
The solenoid clicks when I hit the pedal.

Two things to note: When the cart was working, it wasn't unusual for it to not to move, unless I made sure the f&r switch was really pushed into position. And sometimes the cart would jump after hitting the pedal, almost like a delayed reaction. Not all the time. But enough to take notice. Could it be the F&R switch?

The other thing is that the lug on the motor (A2) is loose. I read they have two nuts, but I haven't messed with it yet. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it to loosen the nuts up.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... the lug on the motor (A2) is loose. I read they have two nuts, but I haven't messed with it yet. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it to loosen the nuts up.
They have 2 nuts.
One nut holds the stud on the casing, the other holds the cable lug on the stud.
If the stud is loose in the casing or turned it can cause issues inside.
If it's just the cable lug that's loose it does need to be tight.
There's a lot of amps flowing thru A1/A2
Be sure to hold the stud nut so it doesn't get turned.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... When the cart was working, it wasn't unusual for it to not to move, unless I made sure the f&r switch was really pushed into position. And sometimes the cart would jump after hitting the pedal, almost like a delayed reaction. Not all the time. But enough to take notice. Could it be the F&R switch? ... .
I'm not familiar with lever style F&R switches, but if yours needs replacing I think there is a heavy duty version you will need when upgrading the controller.
The cart jumping after hitting the pedal thing sounds like the V-glide.
I think the replacement for that is an MCOR4 upgrade kit.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
It is 48v.
OEM v-glide
It is a GPD FBA_C-300 36-60v step down 30a converter from Amazon. It is tied to the key switch, so only draws power when in the ON position.
The solenoid clicks when I hit the pedal.

Two things to note: When the cart was working, it wasn't unusual for it to not to move, unless I made sure the f&r switch was really pushed into position. And sometimes the cart would jump after hitting the pedal, almost like a delayed reaction. Not all the time. But enough to take notice. Could it be the F&R switch?

The other thing is that the lug on the motor (A2) is loose. I read they have two nuts, but I haven't messed with it yet. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it to loosen the nuts up.
This is the first thing You need to fix.

Adding a lift and bigger tires will increase the current demand on your entire system and all connections need to be tight and corrosion free for the system to work properly.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

What is the best way to decide which thing needs replaced to get the cart to go? I will eventually upgrade everything, but cannot afford to buy everything now. I have a new HD 400a solenoid coming. If that isn't my issue, what would the most likely next thing I should check and replace?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

UPDATE... I was just tinkering on the motor lug. The wire on the loose terminal was starting to break and fray. So I cut it and re stripped. I cannot seem to get the terminal tight. The 2nd nut in the lug seems frozen to the stud. I tried PB blaster and it hasn't seemed to help.

So for the heck of it I reattached everything and put a big zip tie on the lug/wire to keep in tight and solid against the casing. When I stepped on the pedal, it started to go real slow and then it felt like it kicked into gear and it went full speed. I drove about a mile as a test with zero issues. Forward and reverse seem to be working now.

Does this point to the lug going bad because it was loose? Could that be my issue? Do I need a new motor or new lugs on the motor? Any ideas would be awesome.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... The wire on the loose terminal was starting to break and fray. So I cut it and re stripped. I cannot seem to get the terminal tight. The 2nd nut in the lug seems frozen to the stud. I tried PB blaster and it hasn't seemed to help.
Does this point to the lug going bad because it was loose? Could that be my issue? Do I need a new motor or new lugs on the motor? Any ideas would be awesome.
Is the terminal post loose in the motor housing?
Or is the top nut frozen rusted to the stud and the cable lug is loose?
If the cable lug is loose under a rusted on top nut keep soaking the nut with PB Blaster.
After a couple of days of soaking I would carefully hold the terminal post nut on the bottom and use a 6 pt socket on the top nut.
Maybe even a light duty impact wrench after that, but use a 6t socket.
If the threads get stripped it probably could be rethreaded to the next smaller size bolt and still work fine.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
UPDATE... I was just tinkering on the motor lug. The wire on the loose terminal was starting to break and fray. So I cut it and re stripped. I cannot seem to get the terminal tight. The 2nd nut in the lug seems frozen to the stud. I tried PB blaster and it hasn't seemed to help.

So for the heck of it I reattached everything and put a big zip tie on the lug/wire to keep in tight and solid against the casing. When I stepped on the pedal, it started to go real slow and then it felt like it kicked into gear and it went full speed. I drove about a mile as a test with zero issues. Forward and reverse seem to be working now.

Why are you trying to loosen the bottom nut? Please explain what you have going on at that stud. As Sergio said, you must get that straightened out before you do anything else.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, motor, solenoid, test
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car