lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question 96 DS Upgrade Discussion

Newbie here on the steep side of the learning curve. I am looking to upgrade my recently acquired '96 DS. It's a PowerDrive Plus Regen 1 (or II). First, I'd like confirmation that I'm on the right track. Here's what I know about this cart.

48v A9644- series
Rocker type F/R switch
No Tow switch (or, has been disconnected)
Original Club Car (black) controller
Replacement OBC installed 3/2000 (Lester Electrical 18300)
Two solenoids: main and dynamic braking
Motor: stock 3.2 hp (series, or shunt wound, don't know, but sepex I think)

I want to upgrade any components necessary to give me more speed (probably the first time you've read something like that.

Looking at High Torque Motor & Controller Conversion System - Club Car DS Regen I & II, $1,410 (Buggiesunlimited.com.)

Questions:
1. Is there a less expensive alternative, like just replacing the motor with a 3.75 hp motor that uses all other existing components? If so, what motor do you recommend that is compatible with existing components? Should power wiring be replaced (4 guage)?

2. What's the easiest way to work on these carts? Remove the batteries? Get a lift? Remove the body? Assume I'll be installing new everything from the kit mentioned above.

3. Is this something someone with moderate mechanical skills can do, or is a professional more advisable?

Thanks for any help, guys and gals. Much appreciated.
Kip
kgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 96 DS Upgrade Discussion

You should check with the site sponsors who sell everything you would need and provide excellent support rather than the website you linked. Just a suggestion. And welcome!
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

To start with, I would look elsewhere for your parts like this web site sponsors. They will be here to help you as you progress through your project.

Looks like you have a Regen 1 drive system. To get more speed right off the start you can unhook the speed sensor on the end of your motor. It will give you a little more speed but you will loose dynamic braking, and roll away braking.

Always unhook your battery pack when you work on an electric cart. Some things are very sensitive to sparks and you can take out expensive parts with sparks.

At the top of this page there is a tab that says sponsors. Look through them for parts you want. Most will be happy to guide you to your goals.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
To start with, I would look elsewhere for your parts like this web site sponsors. They will be here to help you as you progress through your project.

Looks like you have a Regen 1 drive system. To get more speed right off the start you can unhook the speed sensor on the end of your motor. It will give you a little more speed but you will loose dynamic braking, and roll away braking.

Always unhook your battery pack when you work on an electric cart. Some things are very sensitive to sparks and you can take out expensive parts with sparks.

At the top of this page there is a tab that says sponsors. Look through them for parts you want. Most will be happy to guide you to your goals.
Good suggestions. Thanks. Both you and Reddawg suggest I use BGW sponsors, and I have no problem with that. However, I'm not sure what to ask for?!? Being new at this, what do I ask a sponsor for? Perhaps someone can offer some suggestions regarding what I need then I can go find the parts using BGW sponsors. I've read on other posts here about an 'IQ System' upgrade. What's that, and is it something I might use?

Thanks again.
kgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to introduce yourself and post up some pics. Sounds like you got a good base to work with, and there are some great folks on here that will happily help you spend your money. :D
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think you have the earliest example of a Regen cart. Contact Dave at "Revolution Golf Cars." He is the expert on these.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
96 ds upgrade, powerdrive plus, regen 1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car