lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Naples Native
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Which lithium battery?

I want to go lithium to get the most miles out of my cart in between charges. My cart is street legal but we are limited to how far from home we can go and I'm about over it.
So anyway... My brain is about to explode from reading thread after thread for the last few days on which way I should go for lithium.
The cart is a 2006 CC Precedent, stock other than a lift.
Which brand plug and play would be the easiest to set in without having to add, delete or by-pass any other parts for my application?
Naples Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Which lithium battery?

Like you, I did a bunch of reading and researching for a plug-and-play lithium battery before I made a decision. Afterall, they are expensive and I don't like wasting my money on crappy products. I eventually chose the RoyPow 105ah lithium cell for my Precedent.

Besides having to install the mounting plate, it is basically that you just remove your old batteries, put in the RoyPow, connect the + cable and the - cable and your done.

I will say that my first RoyPow had an issue due to it being an older design. RoyPow honored their warranty and replaced it with a new battery with the current design and I have had no issues since then.

Personally, I think it's the best $$$ I've spent on that cart. Last summer, we drove it over 170 miles in 6 days and I only put it on the charger at night. At home, I charge it about every 8 to 10 days depending on useage. Soon, I will be buying the larger RoyPow 160ah battery for my other cart (Humdinger) that I am working on.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
Naples Native
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I think I may have a problem with the RoyPow and my 2006 year cart, as the tow mode and electronics are in the center of my battery pack with 2 batteries on each side. I don’t think the RoyPow will sit on either side without relocating the other components.
Naples Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

The electronics on the center of the early Precedent can be relocated to the passenger side of the cart. Here is a pic of McJefe's cart with the controller and solenoid moved to passenger side and a double leaf lithium pack installed The base dimensions of this pack are 21L x 13W x 10H for your reference.

Take everything off the plate and reroute the main harness to the passenger side. You won't have to cut any of the main harness wiring. OBC will be gone along with the plate. The Tow/Run switch wires will be pulled out of the harness as it is rerouted to passenger side and may need to be lengthened. Jeff left his tow switch in the original place and remounted the bracket to the tub. The aluminum across the back of the tub was for mounting things but most of it not used.

In the picture, there is nothing on the driver side of the pack, he made that a mini storage so there is more usable space than it looks like.

The last picture is of a later model tub with the main harness moved to the bottom of the tub instead of coming out the opening up high near top of batteries. With the body off, I cut a 1.5" dia hole down low and rerouted the cable to come out low. If you are not removing the body, you can just notch that riser to get your cable down to the tub bottom. Your aim is still to get the harness low and aimed to the passenger side of the cart. That should make room for the Roy Pow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e7ad7e12b5deb9c01360fa00a70d680f.jpg (92.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 98bbfea6ec44dca291127a639f2b2dbd.jpg (98.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180402_171858619_LL - Copy.jpg (234.8 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have Allied 90AH pack with upgraded motor and controller, and it's not enough for what I have. From what I've read, I think Roy Pow is the best set up, and I would get the largest AH you can afford for the longest run time.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Bigjmain
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
The electronics on the center of the early Precedent can be relocated to the passenger side of the cart. Here is a pic of McJefe's cart with the controller and solenoid moved to passenger side and a double leaf lithium pack installed The base dimensions of this pack are 21L x 13W x 10H for your reference.

Take everything off the plate and reroute the main harness to the passenger side. You won't have to cut any of the main harness wiring. OBC will be gone along with the plate. The Tow/Run switch wires will be pulled out of the harness as it is rerouted to passenger side and may need to be lengthened. Jeff left his tow switch in the original place and remounted the bracket to the tub. The aluminum across the back of the tub was for mounting things but most of it not used.

In the picture, there is nothing on the driver side of the pack, he made that a mini storage so there is more usable space than it looks like.

The last picture is of a later model tub with the main harness moved to the bottom of the tub instead of coming out the opening up high near top of batteries. With the body off, I cut a 1.5" dia hole down low and rerouted the cable to come out low. If you are not removing the body, you can just notch that riser to get your cable down to the tub bottom. Your aim is still to get the harness low and aimed to the passenger side of the cart. That should make room for the Roy Pow
Do you still recommend the leaf batteries over the lifepo4 setup? I have an alltrax 500 with 400 selonoid and getting ready to spring on a lithium build. Biggest issue is determining a BMS size that will power this. Thanks!
Bigjmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
traderrik
Not Yet Wild

I did a Roy Pow conversion on a 2005 Precedent with 12 volt batteries, and in order to get the Roy Pow to charge I had to remove the ground wire from the factory charging port at the OBC, and run it directly to the battery.

By the way, does anyone know if a lithium battery needs a break-in period, and if so, how?
traderrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car