lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
derekfertig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default RoyPow Lithium upgrade questions

Hi Guys, first things first I'm a total noob here, so I apologize if some of the questions I ask are dumb and obvious to others, I am just learning.

I have a 2017 Club Car Precedent, stretched 6 seater. Considering the lithium upgrade, and I'm getting conflicting info.

When I had the cart built, I paid for a high speed controller and the cart will do around 22-24mph. I believe its an alltrax controller. Recently I've noticed however that its sluggish and inconsistent, so I am considering this upgrade.

I called the shop that built the cart for me (BMK Golf Carts in Pompano Beach) and he quoted me $4100 installed as he says I need to get rid of the controller, and replace it with a high speed motor. The cost of the upgrade is $3800 without the motor, but since my cart is still super new, he will give me credit for the controller and charge me the difference for the motor. Makes sense, but seems steep..

A quick google search on the RoyPow, led me to another guy who said no such thing aboug swapping out controller for motor, and that it is plug and play. Additionally, he is $1300 cheaper coming in at $2995 for the battery upgrade installed.

My questions are obvious -- which is accurate? I dont want to be lied to or misled. Does anyone have any working knowledge that they can share?
derekfertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow Lithium upgrade questions

How old is the battery pack and what kind of batteries are they? What controller is it?

I know very little about the lithium upgrade, so I'll let the others chime in, but remember that the dealership is doing what they can to make as much money as they can. Did they tell you the brand(s) and models of the parts that they were going to use to justify that cost, or did they simply throw a number out at you?

Welcome to the forum...I live in LW and work in west Broward.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Welcome to BGW! Give us more specs....like Wakko said, 48 volts (8 x 6volts or 6 x 8volts), what brand of batteries and how old, have you checked/compared batterys voltage 12 hours after complete charging and compare to under load? All batteries register same voltage 12 hours after charging?

I have a 105ah Roypow battery drop in and did not have to do anything except exchange it for the 8 batteries (do have to use charger that Roypow provides). Cost me $2200 (battery, charger and BMS). So, with the info you have posted, I would not go back to the same cart place...sounds like they are trying to upsell.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

One more thing....no such thing as a dumb question here :)
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
texan
Gone Wild

Don't under stand the part get rid of controller and go to high speed motor.
If you have a Alltrax it is probably CTX 300, 400, or 500. One of the best for Precedent. Think in stead of getting rid controller I would be looking for a new shop.
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
derekfertig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I've called 3 shops now and 3 of the 4 have said that the RoyPow doesnt work correctly with the alltrax, and that it fries the wiring if its left stock, so they have to tune it down which is obviously less than desirable.

The 160ah battery is the one we are discussing and its $2895 across the board. Installation is $250. The price differential for the motor is $300. When I was asking him questions he called me and we talked through it and he was saying that he learned the hard way about the incompatibility with the high speed controller and that he fried a customers wiring and melted some components and had to replace everything.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #7
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Was the $250 including "disposal" of your old batteries?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry but it does not make any sense, the Alltrax XCT is fully programmable and if anything is "frying" is due to lack of knowledge on the part of the installer.

Did any of the shops elaborate exactly what was frying?

Since that is a 6 seater, is that quote for the "P" version of RoyPow?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
texan
Gone Wild

That would be a expensive lesson and lesson taught to me. Did not know that.
Welcome to the forum
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
derekfertig
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Sorry but it does not make any sense, the Alltrax XCT is fully programmable and if anything is "frying" is due to lack of knowledge on the part of the installer.

Did any of the shops elaborate exactly what was frying?

Since that is a 6 seater, is that quote for the "P" version of RoyPow?
That I am not sure of. One of the shops said that there is a "performance" version of the roypow coming out and he actually has been given one to test, so to call him back next week to see if it was plug and play, but this was one of the shops that also confirmed that it was too much for the alltrax and that it needed to be "tuned down" for a lack of better term..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car