lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #11
brunson67
Getting Wild

Default Re: Lithium Ion Upgrade input

Thank you everyone, I've been spending time reading through the the Lithium section, and learning a lot. I've also been having direct communication the Extreme Team regarding their Lithium Phosphate kits, they just finished a drop in kit for the early DS carts like mine, not on their website yet. I'm thinking this might be the route I take.
brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Also, I would suggest you buy as many "Amp-Hours" as your wallet will afford.

No such thing as too much energy storage.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #13
chaput87
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
Hi all,

I have a custom 2001 Club Car DS I built from the ground up, stretched it 33", long travel front suspension, did my own four wheel disc brake kit, using Club car carryall calipers, Honda Civic rotors, wilwood master cylinder. I'm currently running eight 6 volt batteries, allowing for longer range. We live in a gold cart community, so the cart gets used during summer a lot, plus we take it camping a few times a year. Problem is the typical worrying about battery drain. The wife and I discussed selling it to get a gas, but then after talking to our local golf cart shop he recommended looking into Extreme Team Lithium Ion battery kits. I contacted them and they just released a drop in kit for my DS, 200 Amp hour kit. Looking for thoughts on doing a lithium kit from everybody. I've also read concerns about lithium batteries catching fire or even exploding. Thoughts appreciated.

Rob
I've been running a Lithium system for 2 years now. Go Lithium. It's great, you won't change back.
chaput87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #14
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Totally agree with last 2 posts! I will never buy another FLA battery for my carts! And go with most AMP hrs your wife can afford!:
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #15
brunson67
Getting Wild

I'm looking at a 200 AMP/hr kit, should allow me many of miles before needing a charge. Basically we live in Canyon lake California, a Golf Cart community, during summer the cart gets used a lot, what happens is my son uses it all day, brings it home almost dead (which isn't good for FLA batteries), then the wife and I cant use the cart, it takes overnight to charge. Plus we take it camping with us on a few trips, so what I'm hoping for is being able to drive it all day in our community, drive to the lake, to barbeques, etc, and not having to worry about charge, or taking it camping and driving it around for 2-3 days and not worrying about charging.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:35 PM   #16
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
I'm looking at a 200 AMP/hr kit, should allow me many of miles before needing a charge. Basically we live in Canyon lake California, a Golf Cart community, during summer the cart gets used a lot, what happens is my son uses it all day, brings it home almost dead (which isn't good for FLA batteries), then the wife and I cant use the cart, it takes overnight to charge. Plus we take it camping with us on a few trips, so what I'm hoping for is being able to drive it all day in our community, drive to the lake, to barbeques, etc, and not having to worry about charge, or taking it camping and driving it around for 2-3 days and not worrying about charging.
You should get some pretty good milage from a 200amp pack. OTOH....your son may realize this and just drive it a bunch more.......then you will need to charge it again!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
brunson67
Getting Wild

Well, the wife told him its hers for the summer! LOL

I'd say a real heavy day of driving in our community might be 10-15 miles, 20 tops
Old 04-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #18
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

A 200Ah pack will need a big charger to charge it adequately. A 10A charger will take 22-24 hours to fully charge it.

Another, often not talked about benefit of lithium is the fact that it can be charged at any time and it can be charged rather quickly. Get yourself a 30A charger. If your son gets home after a day of driving and puts it on charge, you can get 30Ah of energy back into the battery in just one hour. Double it in 2 hours, etc..... You may be able to get away with “only” 100Ah if your cart is used in this way. A 100Ah lithium battery will give you more range on a single charge than a 200Ah fla.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #19
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Well, the wife told him its hers for the summer! LOL

I'd say a real heavy day of driving in our community might be 10-15 miles, 20 tops
I'm using a 120ah 72v pack, stock gears, 23" tires, Navitas, and get right at 80 miles if speeds are kept to 25mph or so. 70+ miles typically, which includes some 28-32 mph driving (I can log 20 miles some days as well), but averaging less. At 19mph stock speeds I'd guess 85 miles or so. All this is calculated by taking the pack down to 15%, which is lower than I'd take it, so I'd assume a bit less if you make the cutoff 20% which would likely be better for the battery on a recurring basis. I have a shunt-based SOC meter so know exactly how many AHs get used, and it always matches up with the charger reaching "full" within 3 minutes or so. So I'm pretty confident giving out these range figures as accurate. I'm in a flat area though, so keep that in mind.

I have a 20 amp charger and it equates to around 14mph charge speed, and as mentioned above you can charge for brief periods here and there and it adds useful range in short periods of time, which could reduce the need for higher AH packs in many cases.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #20
brunson67
Getting Wild

The kit Extreme Team is offering me has a 20 AMP on board charger. I thought about maybe going with less Ah, but considering our community does have hills, and that we take the cart camping, I like the idea of having maybe more than I need for Ah. You can see the picture of my cart in the intro, stretched, 6 seater, running 25" tires, stock gears, 5.5 HP motor, 700 AMP controller, #2 welding cable for all battery cablers, which were crimped using a hydraulic crimper and shrink wrapped afterwards, OBC stud, 1000 Solenoid from Scotty B my own 4 wheel disc brake kit using honda civic rear rotors for both front and rear of cart, Club Car Carryall Calipers, Wilwood Master Cylinder, steel braided brakes lines throughout, and I swapped out the Club Car pads for Wilwood standard pads, the metallic were tearing up the rotors. . I really appreciate all of the input, its really helping me make a decision, and understand all of this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 rear.jpg (116.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo front.jpg (111.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1211.jpg (167.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.jpg (210.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car