lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
jdhart73
Not Yet Wild

Default Lifted G19...curious about rear passenger wheel offset?

So I installed a 6" jakes kit on my 99 Yamaha G19 along with some 22x10x11 tires and wheels. I took her for a test ride and noticed rubbing from the rear passenger side wheel well. I trimmed the guilty plastic and went on my way. I then looked at the cart from the rear and noticed that the passenger side wheel offset is much different than the driver side. Driver side sticks out a good inch or so from the body while the passenger side is flush which made it much closer to the plastic lining. Why is this? Did I do something wrong or is this a result of the sway bar linked to the new frame extension???
I am confused.

I also installed the rear seat kit from Jakes with the heavy duty rear springs. The seat sits at a bit of an angle...not level with the cart....tipped back towards the driver side. Also I guess I need some new canopy struts because the stock ones dont even come close to adapting to this set up...any thoughts on these issues??

Thanks,
Jake
jdhart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lifted G19...curious about rear passenger wheel offset?

Jake, it is probably the swaybar link. Did you connect it in the bottom most hole? I think Jakes put those other hole's on the drop down bracket there for decoration but it is confusing the first time you look at it as the sway bar can actually go into other holes. I have the Jakes 6" spindle lift kit and 22's on my G22. I had to cut the inner fender liners just a bit to stop the rubbing as well. My rear seat is level so don't know what is going on there. Post a pic or two, might be able to help more.

Chris
luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Dryseals
Not Yet Wild

My G22 has the same problem. It's the panhard bar and coil over suspension. The G22 uses a single pivot point for the front of the rear suspension and to keep the rear centered it uses a panhard bar. The inherent problem with a single point panhard bar is that as the rear end travels up or down the rear wheels will shift inward or outward, depending on travel up or down. With a single pivot point up front, the tendancy is for the rear end to turn also with the travel.
I bought new tries and wheels before I noticed the rear being out of align.
The quick fix, trash the panhard bar and swap to a Watts linkage. This way the rear stays centered on up and down travel. But with a single pivot point up front, the rear will still turn on you. So the long term mod is to get rid of the single pivot up front and make the two rear end arm pivot independently. The added benefit is that you can align the wheels perfectly in the wheel wells.
A cheaper fix is leaf springs, but I want to keep the look of a fancy suspension.
The cheapest kit I've found is here. But a used Landrover parts work well too. Look around the bay for Heim joints and four link kits and you'll find endless possibilities.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
gtucker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My G19 has the same problem using a 7" Allsport double A-arm lift kit. I was wondering if drilling a new hole in the plate for better alignment would be worth trying. I noticed it while looking at my shocks and the passenger side was vertical while driver's side is at an angle.
gtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The key to a Panhard-Rod(Track-Locator,or Track-Bar)is to keep it level.With the cart sitting level with normal accesories,make sure the bar is parallel with the axle.If its' angled up or down,its' pulling on the suspension already in one direction,which will worsen with load(riders,cargo,bumps).The Watts'-Link is the way to go,but on a budget,or with limited skills,the stock system is sufficient with some easy modifications.The bar-brackets can be modified,or the bar modified(the brackets are an easier option).Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
purplewg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
The key to a Panhard-Rod(Track-Locator,or Track-Bar)is to keep it level.With the cart sitting level with normal accesories,make sure the bar is parallel with the axle.If its' angled up or down,its' pulling on the suspension already in one direction,which will worsen with load(riders,cargo,bumps).The Watts'-Link is the way to go,but on a budget,or with limited skills,the stock system is sufficient with some easy modifications.The bar-brackets can be modified,or the bar modified(the brackets are an easier option).Hope this helps.
Do you have pics of yours? I just put Jake's on the GF's G22 and noticed the track bar (looking from the back) went up from the bottom right bracket to the ladder support provided by Jake's. Her's seems to be lined up nicely as far as the tires go in the fender wells. I am trying to understand what you are saying about relocating the bracket. The factory track bar bracket is below the axle a bit already. I noticed this as being the low spot to hang on roots back there. I understand the Watts Link and that would be perfect to get rid of all those fish hooks at the back that can catch on stuff.

I'm a little slow so I hope you can explain it to me.
purplewg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
gtucker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My problem ended up being a bent track bar. I talked to someone at Allsports and they said to remove it and straighten. That gave me about 1.5 inches shift of the axle to the passenger side and appears to be aligned perfectly. Rides better as well. I will post pics after work this pm.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
purplewg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtucker View Post
My problem ended up being a bent track bar. I talked to someone at Allsports and they said to remove it and straighten. That gave me about 1.5 inches shift of the axle to the passenger side and appears to be aligned perfectly. Rides better as well. I will post pics after work this pm.
Yeah, I was looking at the GF's cart last night. Her's is square under the body and I didn't make any mods other than put the lift on. I also looked at the fixed lower bracket. It can't me modified without changing the length of the track bar too.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
gtucker
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Finally got around to posting pics. The track bar is not level using the Allsports lift kit but it doesn't seem to affect the ride. But I do like the fact that this design gives more ground clearance under the bumper out beyond the protection of the rear wheels so that it cant get ripped off by a stump or curb, which to me seems more likely with the Jakes design. A side view would clarify that better.

3-14-12 019.jpg
Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
purplewg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtucker View Post
Finally got around to posting pics. The track bar is not level using the Allsports lift kit but it doesn't seem to affect the ride. But I do like the fact that this design gives more ground clearance under the bumper out beyond the protection of the rear wheels so that it cant get ripped off by a stump or curb, which to me seems more likely with the Jakes design. A side view would clarify that better.

Attachment 63701
Yeah, that has more clearance. My right side (looking from back) track bar bracket is pointing down in 7-8 o'clock position. I could cut it loose and move it up but then I would have to shorten the actual track bar or get/make and adjustable one to center the rear end. Thanks for the pic.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha