lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
hodgster11
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 Ez Go Txt Axle

My cart has starting making a grinding noise in the rear. I lifted up on a jack and turned the wheels by hand. The grinding noise is coming from both sides when I turn the wheels. Is this the bearings? If so, what is the best place to purchase. Thanks for your help.
hodgster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 Ez Go Txt Axle

Yup the bearings or it can be the brake drums, you need to pull the drums off to make sure the splines are not beginning striped out. They will strip out if the castle nut is not torque down to spec, 75ftlbs

If you do need to replace the wheel bearings, you need to do both sides at the same time, use 2 new seals, and 2 new cotter pins,

You will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove axle.

And this is a good time to do break adjustment/clean

site sponser link:
http://everythingcarts.com/c-416-bearings-seals.aspx
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
hodgster11
Not Yet Wild

Pulled axle last night. Bearing looked great. Cleaned and adjusted brakes. Put drum back on and turned by hand. Sounds like it might be coming from diff. When I pulled axle it looked a little runny. Could changing the diff oil solve the problem? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Rearends have so few problems unless they have been run out of oil. Make sure the pan is not crushed and hitting the ring gear. When you checked the rear bearings, how did you check them?
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
hodgster11
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the right axle and I spun the bearing by hand. Smooth no sound. Nothing looks crushed on the differential. When I turn it by hand it sound like a dry grinding sound. The brakes are not hitting. I can turn this wheel with the other wheel on the ground is that right?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

sounds to me you have a bad rear bearing in the motor. They are known to go bad since they are right beside the motor brushes and the bearing gets all the brushes dust.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
hodgster11
Not Yet Wild

hard fix?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

the only hard part is trying to get the motor off. some slide right off and then some you have to fight like hell to get off since the motor is corroded to the input shaft of the rear end.

once eng is off you take out 2 bolts and you have yourself a dissembled motor. you will need snap ring pliers to remove the bearing. I can do the whole job if motor comes right off in about 20 minutes. This also gives you a chance to look at/replace the brushes and clean up the insides a little.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgster11 View Post
hard fix?
Its not a hard fix if that is the problem, but when the motor bearings go bad they make a noise that you know is coming from the motor, and I don't think I would call it a grinding noise. You stated you jacked the cart up and turned the wheels by hand and heard the noise, I don't think I have ever heard a bad motor bearing by doing that. Motors are easy to pull and check, so you can go in that direction. When you had the axles out you didn't happen to check the bearings to see if they "rocked" on the axle shaft did you?
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
bhfear
EZ-GO-N

E-Z-GO

And your positive the splines on the brake drums where all in good shape?
bhfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO